Thread: '66 Ranchero and intro

Smile '66 Ranchero and intro

Well, really this is my son's first rig - but it's in my name for now.

A little history, long time Falcon fan. Had a '65 Futura 2 dr hardtop as my first car in high school and sold it after I got married in 1988 (as a college student) to buy furniture for our apartment - dumb mistake #1. Also, had a '61 Ford Starliner (I know not a Falcon) at my 10 yr anniversary. Moved to Seattle and sold it - dumb mistake #2.

My family has always been a Ford one. While my '65 Futura sat in the driveway in high school my dad also had a '64 Sprint and '65 Sprint - yep, he sold them both. The '65 was obtained in a trade when a client couldn't pay his bill. It was redone with a stroked out 347 and 4.11 gearing - can you say scary fast. We also had a '66 F100 in the driveway at this time. Finally, my dad owned a '62 Falcon when I was just a little guy and we still lived in Bellevue.

Fast forward - 26 yrs of marriage, job changes, family moves, 6 kids and a wife who doesn't understand cars like I do and I still don't have a classic Falcon in my driveway/garage. I'm working on my kids now to make suggestions to my wife that returning my '65 Falcon to my garage for my 50th birthday would be a cool thing.

My 15 yo son starts looking for a vehicle and likes his friends El Camino but doesn't want to buy one because his friend already has one. Perfect opening for me so I start showing him Rancheros and we watch an episode from American Muscle Cars about them. He's starting to get excited and so am I.

After some searching we come across a '66 Ranchero for decent money and a decent looker. 68k original miles, 289, 3 on the tree. Cool, he can learn to drive the old fashioned way. He ends up wanting it and now it sits in my shop (because he failed a class in school and won't be able to learn to drive for a few months - bummer for him).

The car/truck runs great. A little hard on cold starts and I noticed the automatic choke was set a little lean so I backed it off a little and it's better. A carb rebuild (2100) is probably in the future. The rear feels a little soft so I think I'll start with some shocks - the ones on it are shot - before doing leaf springs.

I noticed a little shudder/vibration between 50-60 mph and am suspecting the universal joint needs some work. When you step on the gas the motor has plenty of response.

Rust - bubbles in the lower side panels and the base of the tailgate. There was some pretty poor body work done on it so it really needs to be stripped, fixed and repainted. It's got a Chrysler three stage pearl paint right now - that again wasn't done very well. What I call the rear body panel/cross member under the rear of the bed needs some attention as it has a rust hole in it on the front side.

Like a typical teen my son wants to address the wheels (doesn't like the baby moons) and the stereo - doesn't work. I've convinced him to leave the original AM radio in it.

I'm a novice at car repairs and have a drag racing neighbor who is going to help me learn as we go along.

Photos:

The armrest on the drivers door is broken - I'll need to source another

I know where there is a coupe on Highway 410. You could have a father-son projects.
    :-)

Welcome to the forum! Wish I had a cool car as a teen but they were mostly the "get you from point A to point B" type. Looks pretty solid from the photos. Look forward to seeing the progress. Those `66-`70 models have been starting to grow on me lately.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

It does look clean, congratulations. I good first project to cut your teeth on is converting your master cylinder to a dual bowl type. Even more important since a new driver will be behind the wheel soon.

As Kenny said, keep us posted on your progress.

There is a Ranchero Enthusiast Group based in Seattle. They do not have a web presence but I can forward the Presidents Phone Number to you if you are interested. They may have some lines on parts for the 66 and newer Ranchero items.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    It does look clean, congratulations. I good first project to cut your teeth on is converting your master cylinder to a dual bowl type. Even more important since a new driver will be behind the wheel soon.

As Kenny said, keep us posted on your progress.

There is a Ranchero Enthusiast Group based in Seattle. They do not have a web presence but I can forward the Presidents Phone Number to you if you are interested. They may have some lines on parts for the 66 and newer Ranchero items.
    Thanks - great suggestion on the dual bowl master cylinder. The current one has a small leak. I will say the car has been parked for a week an nary a spot of oil on the concrete. That's encouraging.

Right now it's a matter of rear suspension (shocks), the door armrest, tune up - even though it runs real good after getting warmed up it can't hurt. I don't know when the plugs were changed. It'll be a year before he gets his license (assuming he pulls his head out with school) so we have some time.

I'd love the contact information for the Ranchero Enthusiast group. It can never hurt to develop contacts on both the Falcon and Ranchero front.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitanesteel View Post

I'd love the contact information for the Ranchero Enthusiast group. It can never hurt to develop contacts on both the Falcon and Ranchero front.

I just sent you a PM with Russ's contact information. I didn't want to post here due to spambots and all the other tech stuff I don't understand

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Very unique Ranchero. I like the 289 3-speed column shift. Last year for the Falcon-based Ranchero as the next year went to the Fairlane body style. Although, technically, if you look at 70 Falcon and a 70 Ranchero, they were the same front ends.

Anyway, welcome aboard and I second the dual master cylinder upgrade. Get a M/C from a '67 and the swap is really pretty painless. In the meantime hopefully the E-brake is one.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"