Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freakin Out vins don't match HELP

karenna Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    There is another VIN number between the second and third fender bolt when counting from the windsheild. Later cars had a small notch cut in the edge of the fender that would wrap around the number. Earlier cars would have to remove the fender to see the number. It's not on the fender itself. It's under it.
    is it on the drivers side or passenger? I've heard both. thanks so very much 4 all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by karenna View Post
    is it on the drivers side or passenger? I've heard both. thanks so very much 4 all the help.
    Drivers side for left hand drive cars.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

If you want to get the data plate on the door to match the body I think there are companies that will stamp a new one and you just pop rivot it in place.

Don't ever worry about bringing your car to a show because something is not perfect. The people that care about those things should just take their trailor queen home, park it in the garage, sit in the driveway in their lawnchair and stare at it!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Ditto what kenny said.

So the car has a history.. have fun with it and make the car your own..

unless you feel like you were ripped off then do what you gotta do..

I like the car its cool..

Nathan

Kareena,

The simple fact is there are only about 5 people in all the world who would ever know things are not original unless you pointed them out. Then all the rest of us would go... "ah... yeah'. 'How cool is that?" I think all of our cars have some things on them that are not what the car came with. It's not like you have a Falcon with Mustang taillights (which would look very weird). You have all Falcon parts on it.

Now to get down right practical... You should have the title to match the VIN number on a part of the body at the lowest level. They put a lot of VIN numbers on various parts of the car to make sure you could work your way down (or inward) as needed to get to the original number... just in case of a wreck where lots of parts were swapped out. If the number on the title matches only the door and no other number, then you may really have a problem that may make it hard to sell the car in the future if you ever decide to. Just something to consider. Like you though, many only look at the title and the most obvious number, which is on the door. So who knows how many have owned it like it currently is.

Also, you can tell (usually) when a car has been in a front end collision by looking at the panels just to the left and the right of the radiator core support (under the hood) and the core support itself. Unless these were "toast" most body shops just pulled them and flattened them as best they could. If it was seriously damaged there may have been an entire front clip removed and put onto the front of the original '61 body (and would likely carry forward their VIN numbers along with them)... but again any good body man can tell if you have one take a look.

You have a mystery, that's for sure. Just be sure, whatever you do, that you are protecting your interests. Looks are one thing, but legalities are actually way more important.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; July 1st, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"