Thread: Shelby drop

Shelby drop

Is there a link to a thread on this modification? Or can anyone chime in here. I'm still struggling with the steering on the delivery. I'm thinking of raising the front back up a bit and doing that Shelby upper control arm mod.
    I'm old and would rather have better handling and steering than a super low stance. I figured since winter is here I might as well tear the car down again.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Shelby drop while improving steering geometry usually lowers the car another 1/2 inch or so.

What spindles are you using?

What exactly are you experiencing? Bump steer, or just poor handling. .
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Chasing it right now. I installed a bump steer eliminator kit because my tie rods were angled upwards at normal height.
    Low speed around town fine, up to 50mph fine but over that the car feels like it's grabbing the road, darts around.
    I ordered one inch drop coils from global west so those will go in, then I want to do the Shelby drop. After that it's off to the alignment shop were I'll ge the "performance" alignment done. I got the specs off of daze cars web site.
    I guess we'll see from there.
    Got any hing else I should look at? Everything was replaced during the rebuild and I think my issues might be lowering it as much as I did. Now it has settled quite a bit,so I get a lot bump stop contact as well.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Here is the website I gathered info on the Shelby drop. My car has it and I have no issues with bump steer or any adverse problems with it.

http://dazecars.com/dazed/drop.html

Yup that's the site I found. Good tech there I ordered their template kit. Thanks.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Hopefully it's not the Unisteer setup in general. Have you search reviews lately to see if anyone else is experiencing similar things with it? I've debated doing the Shelby drop as well, but have so far decided at the last minute to leave it alone. But it may help more when you have the RnP steering.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Most of what I've gathered is that most early Falcons and mustangs that switch to a R&P and are lowered suffer from bump steer and incorrect steering geometry. I've taken care of the bump steer issue with a eliminator kit. Had an alignment done and my alignment guy suggested adjustable strut bars (I think that's the right term) so he can tune the caster in better.
    My other concern is when I give it throttle med-heavy the car pulls right and when left off abruptly pulls left. I'm hoping this is an effect of the poor steering due to the amount of drop I have. Rough measurements show 3" drop front and about 2-2.5 in the rear.
    I'm old and don't care if it's that low although it looks nice I want good ride and good handling. I've put 4000 miles on the car since she hit the road and everything has settled so it's actually lower than I'd like.
    So a set of global west linear spring are on the way along with the Shelby drop template and drill bit kit. The springs are a 1 inch drop and the Shelby mod should add one more inch and that is where I started.
    So all that said I geuss we will see what it's like after all that happens. Stay tuned!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Research the term tramlining and see if that sounds like what you have going on.

Adjustable strut rods help dial in caster, but shouldn't be used for more than .25* of caster adjustment anything more than that add another shim.

Anyone check the torque of the upper a arm shaft nuts?

Does the pulling on acceleration always the same side?
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Checked all nuts and bolts just to be sure. The pulling is the same every time. Pulls right upon acceleration, and pulls back left on deacceleration.
    When the gas is applied the drivers side goes up under the torque and opposite when gas is let off, this is why I think it is suspension related?
    I'll look up that term and see what it is. Thanks.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Limited slip or 1 tire fire?
    Right wheel is power wheel.

Maybe something with rear spring wrap up on accel.

Otherwise it has to to with the front end lift and when the suspension is lifting it pull the tire in or out as the control arms and tie rod are moving. You would think the bump steer kit would eliminate that.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

I think it's spring related. They are the 50 year old leafs. She is still one tire fire but I wanted to get my ride height good before I spend $500 on new leafs. So I'll be the front sorted first with new springs and so forth and then the back. Thanks for all the help and tips I'll report back as it goes.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear