Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out for a spin.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Falcon Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    With my young family duties, rough city traffic, and other obligations, I don't get my bird out very often.
    Hello, Jeff.

Every time I look at the photo of your car it reminds me of the Falcon wagon that I drove while I was in high school (1978-1979). Darn, I had fun with that car! I pulled out my old photo albums and took the following photo of a photo of that car. I was taking a photography class and had to develop a black and white photo as a class project. I developed this photo and pinned it to the classroom wall. My friends added embellishments:

3-DCP_5978.JPG

Here is a color photo that I took with a Kodak 126 Instamatic. Notice the Ford racing stripe and the CB radio antenna mounted on the roof. My CB handle was "Ramblin' Wreck". I was rolling double nickles on that super slab, good buddy!

4-DCP_5979.JPG

Here is my only known photo of the my 1963 Futura Sport Sedan that I had from 1984 to 1986. I was living in an apartment, going to a community college, and working nights as a security guard. I would have loved to have been able to keep it, but I didn't have the time or money or facilities to repair and maintain it. I sold it and bought a 1981 Plymouth Horizon (which I actually thought and still think was a nice car!).You can see my brother's gold 1984 Dodge Charger 2.2 in the background. He bought it new and it was a nice car. I've read on the internet where young guys are restoring those cars now and someone is selling reproduction graphic decals for them

5-DCP_5980.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 2nd, 2014 at 03:48 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Looks like you put on a few pounds since then

What color was it?

I like the FORD stripes on the rocker.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Falcon Wagon

Looks like you put on a few pounds since then.
    What color was it? I like the FORD stripes on the rocker.
    Hello, Jeff.

My 1963 Falcon Fordor Wagon was a beige color and it had little cows heads molded into the upholstery. I bought the racing stripe decal from JC Whitney. My car had a 170 Special engine and a Fordomatic transmission. Gosh, that car was nice. I used to fold the back seat down and pretend that I was driving a two-seater. It was fun to drive with all with the windows and the tailgate window down. Open air all around!

When I graduated high school I was 5' 8" and weighed 115 lbs. I joined the Navy and they told me that I was at the minimum weight for my height. The Navy fed me well and I gained 30 pounds by the time that I finished my hitch!

I sold my blue Futura sport sedan in 1986. I waited 26 years and in 2012 I saw my black Futura hardtop for sale and my mind snapped.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 1st, 2014 at 09:16 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    I saw my black Futura hardtop for sale and my mind snapped.
    LOL - I know how that is!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    My 1963 Falcon Fordor Wagon was a beige color and it had little cows heads molded into the upholstery.
    Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Automotive mingling

Like this?
    Yea! That's it. I liked the little cow heads. That was a really unique touch.

I stopped to get some gas on my way to work this past Friday morning. While there, a guy in a pickup said “Nice Falcon”. He smiled and told me that his grandmother had a Falcon convertible. When he was five years old she would let him sit in her lap when she drove her car. That was a nice story and it is nice that he remembers having good times with his grandmother. Then another guy stopped as he was pulling in and said that he liked my Falcon and that he has a 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix. I didn't know what they looked like so I googled an image later. It is a nice looking car, but too large for my taste. I like the lady in the background who is wearing the 1963-style elbow-length white gloves.
    1963 Pontiac Grand Prix.jpg

I drove my Falcon to work again this morning and was surprised to see a buddy's 1970 Mustang in the parking lot.
    F James' 1970 Mustang 006.jpg

LS James' 1970 Mustang 002.jpg
    The car had not been running for some time and I like to think that my Falcon and my other friend's 1967 Fairlane provided some of the inspiration for him to get the Mustang going.

R James' 1970 Mustang 003.jpg
    He said that I will need to re-take the pictures when he has the car painted. I told him that having the car painted in primer makes him look like a bad a**. He liked that.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 3rd, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Three car shows today.

This morning I went an Insty Tune & Lube “Cruise In” that they have the second Saturday of each month. I met a guy who has a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix. That was interesting after having talked to a guy last week about a 1963 Grand Prix.
    1964 Grand Prix.JPG

I left there to visit a Mustang show at a local Ford Dealer. There were a lot of cars there.
    Mustangs.JPG

This 1970 Mercury Cyclone was nice:
    1970 Cyclone.JPG

While I was at the Mustang show this guy and his wife showed up with their 1964 Falcon. I chatted with the Falcon guy and he said that there was an all Chevrolet show going on about eight miles down the road.
    Falcon FQ.JPG

I drove to the "BCCC OPEN BENEFIT CAR SHOW 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM Hosted by the Tampa Bay Classic Chevy Club" and the first cars that I saw were a 1966(?) Falcon and a Galaxie. They had all kinds of cars there.
    1966 Falcon.JPG

It was a fun day.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dinosaur World.

The temperature this morning was 59 degrees and there was a heavy overcast with a slight rain. I took I-275 south to I-4 and drove east at 65 mph to visit Dinosaur World in Plant City. It is a tourist attraction that is alongside I-4 about 20 miles east of Tampa.
    See: http://dinosaurworld.com/florida/

The park had not opened yet when I got there and I took this picture at the front gate.
    Dinosaur World Entance.JPG

Shortly there after, a girl showed up and unlocked the gate. I didn't actually go into the park. I just wanted to take pictures at the front gate and in the parking lot.
    Triceratops.JPG

Brontosauri.JPG

There is also a winery near there that is famous for their blueberry wine. See: http://keelandcurleywinery.com/ Going home I took I-4 west and then I-75 north. The Falcon ran great.
    Winery.JPG
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

The Falcon Ambassador

There is an area in Tampa with a concentration of Middle Eastern grocery stores and restaurants. I was driving though there on my way home from work and a young guy about fourteen years old in the back seat of an SUV on my left said "Nice car!" as I stopped at traffic light. I said "Thanks" and noticed that they were a Muslim family as I coasted a car length past to stop. A couple of women in the car wore head scarves. I stopped and thought about it and then backed up and motioned to the kid to roll his window down. Then I briefly explained before the light changed that it was a 1963 Ford Falcon and it had been the compact car of its time. The girl in the front passenger's seat looked about eighteen and must have been the kid's older sister. I said good bye when the light changed and she gave me the most wonderful big, beautiful, beaming smile as I drove away. It had made her happy that someone had taken the time to chat with her younger brother. That was nice.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 13th, 2015 at 04:39 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Day Trip to Gatorland

My wife and I drove The Wonder Falcon on a 195-mile round trip from Tampa to Kissimmee today to visit Gatorland.
    It was HOT today. It was a record-breaking 85-degrees! Christmas is next week!

IMG_0657 (2).jpg

IMG_0658 (2).jpg

We drove on highways going there but we drove back on Interstate-4. That was the longest distance that I have driven the Falcon on an Interstate so far. We held it at 70 mph for about 80 miles and the Falcon performed like a champ. Yaaay! An older guy driving a new BMW convertible honked and waved at us.

IMG_0661 (2).jpg

IMG_0673 (2).jpg

IMG_0668 (2).jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 21st, 2016 at 05:01 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Day trip to Animal Kingdom

My wife and I drove The Wonder Falcon from Tampa to Orlando yesterday on a 219-mile round trip to visit Disney's Animal Kingdom.

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

We drove there and back on Highways 60 and 27 at mostly 55 - 60 mph. I filled the car with 10 gallons of gas when we got back near the house and found that the Falcon had gotten 21.7 miles per gallon on the trip!!!

Whoohoo! That is my best gas mileage to date. I have hit around 19.5 a few times before, but never above twenty. This is with a 260 V-8, an Autolite 2100 two-barrel carburetor, and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic with a 3.25 differential.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 21st, 2016 at 05:19 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis,

You're having way too much fun! Good to see they give those 'gators plenty of birds to eat.

85 degrees in December... I think we may have a white Christmas instead.

snow.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"