Thread: Disc brake conversion

Disc brake conversion

What is all involved in a front disc brake conversion on a 64 falcon 170? Has anyone done this to their own cars? How did it go?

There are several options for front disk brakes.

1) Granada - this is popular for those switching to five lug and larger wheels and tires. The wrecking yards are starting to dry up but they can now be purchased new. Let my know if this is of interest and I'll look up the company.

2) Scarebird - this system makes use of several parts house components. There is a special bracket you buy and then a trip to the parts store for rotors, calipers, and plumbing parts. This keeps the car looking mostly stock and used 14" four lug wheels.

3) Mustang - You can find spindles from any 64.5 - 73 Mustang and then you're open to any aftermarket brake system you want including Bear, SSBC, and Wilwood.

You need to decide what you plan to do with the car and that will help you decide on a brake system. Keep the stock look? Restomod?
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Scarebird Info

Take a look at the second page of the Tech Talk forum. We did a Scarebird conversion on my '63 last year and we posted some info on it in this forum. Roger also wrote an article for the Newsletter, but that particular Newsletter has not been put on line yet.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Roger also wrote an article for the Newsletter, but that particular Newsletter has not been put on line yet.
    And why is that I wonder?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Here is one company that sells all new granada set up. I think it's $525 for the basic kit.

CLASSIC SERVICES RESTORATION PARTS

The Granada is "Swap 2"

http://discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20D...0HOW%20TO.html

Has anyone on the forum used this kit? One downfall for us six cylinder guys is that it only comes in five lug. I guess you could just keep your hubcaps on...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    One downfall for us six cylinder guys is that it only comes in five lug. I guess you could just keep your hubcaps on...
    ...and carry two spare tires.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I've done both the Granada swap and a scarebird swap..

i prefer either of these two swaps over ordering a kit from Baer, wilwood and etc.. becasue when i need replacement parts i can walk into any parts house and get my parts.. with the other company's its call them up and wait for parts to show up.

there are issues that have to be delt with in just about any swap, but the benifits out weigh the difficulties..

Nathan

I Have The Csrp Kit On My 63 Cvt. I Like The Fact That He Had New Spindles Cast And Modified The Steering Arms On The Back Of The Spindle For Your Specific App So Fewer Prob With "bump Steer"
    Also Very Complete Kit-i Work In Auto Parts And Really Couldn't
    Beat The Price For All The Parts Included And He Has Slotted Rotors Available-very Cool. Works Well On My Car.(have To Hit Him For For My Bribe Now)

It'll Be At The Regionals So You All Can Check It Out

HEY RAPTOR which kit did you get ? granada or ??
    thanks john h

Granada From Csrp Not Scarebird