Thread: Transmission Needed

Transmission Needed

I'm in need of a shift-o-matic 2 speed and torque converter for my 62 4-door. If anyone has one they can sell, hit me up.

Thanks
    -Andy

djnuklearburrito@gmail.com
    360 359 6499 (cell)

You should really consider changing to a C4 three speed if you can.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Do they make C-4's for the early style I6? I've not seen a bell housing myself that mates the two.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Do they make C-4's for the early style I6? I've not seen a bell housing myself that mates the two.
    I thought there was. The C4 was available in 65. Weren't those 170 powered Falcons? The 200 was first built in 63 but I don't know when it made it into the Falcon. I'm no expert on those engines missing two cylinders.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I should know this... but can't remember. The Ford Six Performance Handbook (http://falconperformance.sundog.net/) covers the different versions of the C4. I loaned my copy to the guy building up my 200, so I can't look it up. However, I believe there was an early version, "small bell housing" that would bolt up to the early 170/200. Later C4's used the same bolt pattern as the V8. Later 170/200 engines had extra holes so either trans could be attached (or was it the trans that had extra holes? I just don't remember, and can't find an answer in any of my other books).
    Anyhow...
    I HIGHLY recommend the Ford Six Performance Handbook. Buy one!
    If all else fails, once I get the new 200/C4 installed into my '63, I'll have a surplus Ford-o-matic (surplus 170 for that matter!). It'll probably take another year, though.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary, have you given any thought to what you are going to use (or keep) for the rear-end when you swap?

Jeff

Rear End

Jeff,
    Keeping the little guy back there for now. If anyone knows of an 8-inch 4-lug available, I might be interested.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

My thought is to do it all at once. I hate the thought of paying twice to cut the drive shaft down on two separate occasions.

Holy thread jacking Batman. Lol, I know I should go with a C4 and a 8 inch or narrow 9 inch, or even a dodge 8 3/4, but I don't need to go fast, I don't even need to go 70. I just need to get there. And right now...I'm stuck in 1st gear all day long.

Here is one from Craigs list from today (June 21, 2009)

$60 and its not too far from you.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1232031883.html

I dont know if your still interested, but I have crap load of parts. I'm swapping to a v8, so I have all my old running gear. I have a good working ford-o-matic. I dont know where you live, but Im up in Stanwood.

Quote Originally Posted by guydudebro View Post
    I dont know if your still interested, but I have crap load of parts. I'm swapping to a v8, so I have all my old running gear. I have a good working ford-o-matic. I dont know where you live, but Im up in Stanwood.
    Ugh, had to park the falcon for a bit, and kinda forgot about needing parts...you still got that ford-o-matic by chance? I'm in centralia...