Thread: Removing Rust from Cooling System

Removing Rust from Cooling System

I am hearing some mixed advice for removing some rust from the cooling jackets in an engine block. I searched through here and did not see much posted, unless I missed something.

I have the head off and all jackets are exposed. When I cleaned the rust from my fuel tank I soaked it in vinegar with much success. It seems here I need a flushing agent of some sort. I have seen some use diluted citric acid, others with just coolant flush.

Advice?

Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Removing Rust from Cooling System

I remember seeing something about this on another site when I was asking about rust in the flathead motor that I got when I bought an old 49 ford. One of the items that someone mentioned was using muriatic acid. Here is a quote I found about that process.

“ Muriatic acid causes hydrogen embrittlement in carbon and alloy steel, cast iron, some stainless steels and aluminum alloys. During the "pickling" process, the material takes on available hydrogen atoms from the acid. This causes what is called "hydrogen embrittlement." Hydrogen embrittlement causes the material to fracture along sheer planes more easily. Thus, the strength of the part is greatly diminished.”

It might be better to have the block professionally dipped. I know that using vinegar breaks up the rust, but it will sooner than later show up in your radiator.

Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I don't think with just the head off you have any better access to the water passages. I would just reassemble and then use a commercial radiator cleaner following the directions.

Larry's post scares me away from home concoctions.
    Last edited by Jeff W; January 27th, 2016 at 08:31 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

You could try one of these coolant filters to keep stuff out of the radiator that might shake loose later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

A little rust in the water jackets is pretty normal. I'm with Jeff here - just put it together and use a standard Prestone flush. Add the kit too if you really want to purge it all. Use of antifreeze has the good rust inhibitor to keep rust at bay.

It is only heavy scale-rust, where a heavy-duty cleaner should be used. The filter might be a good idea, but I don't think that is something you will have to worry about. Usually, by the time you might be thinking this is needed, there is more rust in the block, settling in the lower ends of the block, that freeze plugs may want to get popped and a good evacuation of that sediment is done too. You can only get so much sediment out with a flush kit. Ask me how I know.

2014-06-06 17.45.18.jpg

More often than not rust (that is bad enough to worry about) is from not being proactive with periodic cleaning of the old antifreeze and rust that forms from all the other things that corrode as well, like the lower hose spring, pump impeller. Antifreeze should be checked a lot more than most of us think to do it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"