Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase breather cap

Crankcase breather cap

My 1963 260 has a PCV valve that draws fumes off the crankcase.
    Make-up air is drawn in through the original-type oil filler cap / crankcase breather cap through the oil fill tube that leads to the crankcase:

Oil Filler Breather Cap EC61 2.JPG

Is there a recommended replacement interval for breather caps?

The cap just plugs on so there is no tight seal. There has to be air leaking in around the filter. I am guessing that this was not considered to be much of an issue because (1) The amount of ventilation air would be small. There is not a powerful suction of air flowing in through the crankcase. (2) Any dust that was carried into the crankcase would be caught by the oil filter. (3) The plug on cap is easy to remove and replace when adding oil.

That being said, would a clamp-on oil filler air filter keep the crankcase oil cleaner than the original-type breather cap? Would there be much value in making that replacement?

Airraid Filter.jpg

PS: On thinking about it further, it appears that a disadvantage of the the paper air filter is that it would be relatively delicate and easily damaged if it were knocked sideways. In comparison, the original-type cap is built like a steel can and you would have to use a hammer to damage it.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 27th, 2016 at 03:26 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Interesting thoughts...

I had to look further to see where modern cars place this intake port. I know my Honda has a tightly screed on cap with an o-ring for adding oil. Looks like modern cars place the intake inside of the air filter. I would assume it as after the paper filter element and this provides particle free air.

Doesn't help us unless you want an ugly cobble job.

I feel safe assuming the coarse mesh filter that is inside of the current oil filler cap becomes saturated with oil vapor and captures dust. Their is the small area where the cap presses onto the stem that is not sealed perfectly so some unfiltered air may get in that way. Maybe there is a way to get an o-ring in there to provide a tighter seal.

Good or bad, when I change engine oil I also squirt carb cleaner in the removed cap and shake it out to clean the filtering material. Maybe I should be leaving that oil in there to offer better dust capture.

I can think of another disadvantage to the paper filter you show. You would need a screwdriver to loosen the clamp when adding engine oil.

My current engine has the draft tube but still needs the intake type cap. According to the wiki page, this draft tube does not work at slow speeds as the tip of the tube, placed in the vehicles slip stream, does not provide the required vacuum., a problem for mail vehicles and us city dwellers. Interestingly the PCV system was developed during WWII for tanks which never get to a speed where a slipstream is created. Then the government got involved and now we can all breath easier

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cran...ilation_system

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Draft Tubes and PCV valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Looks like modern cars place the intake inside of the air filter. I would assume it as after the paper filter element and this provides particle free air. Doesn't help us unless you want an ugly cobble job.
    Hello, Jeff.

Yep. The back of y air cleaner has a plugged off nipple that could be used to draw clean air, but I would have to run a hose across the engine from front to back. It would probably interfere with the throttle or transmission linkage and would be more bother than it would be worth. The paper filter would be better in a theoretically, but it would probably tear in actual use and its appearance would probably bother me every time I lifted the hood.

Maybe there is a way to get an o-ring in there to provide a tighter seal.
    Theoretically that might work. In actuality, the o-ring would probably pop off and fall down the oil fill tube the first time I tried it.

My current engine has the draft tube but still needs the intake type cap. According to the wiki page, this draft tube does not work at slow speeds as the tip of the tube, placed in the vehicles slip stream, does not provide the required vacuum., a problem for mail vehicles and us city dwellers.
    I never understood why in 1963 Ford put a PCV valve on the V-8s butl left draft tubes on the sixes. The Wikipedia article explains that a PCV valve is partially closed at high vacuum when the engine idles and opens to allow maximum ventilation at low vacuum when the engine is producing power and the blow-by is at its maximum.

Your draft tube does the same thing. It produces a maximum draw when the car is moving and none when the car is stopped. A draft tube might be more dependable because it might be less likely to become blocked than would a PCV valve, but PCV valves are pretty dependable and are supposed to eliminate some pollution. I read where they were initially promoted as a way to get better gas mileage by burning otherwise "wasted" oil vapors.

The 260 had a draft tube and an optional PCV valve for California in 1962. They were evidently all given PCV valves by 1963 (see picture). That means that I could always retrofit my engine to a draft tube and eliminate the PCV valve if I ever really wanted too. The drawing shows that the 1962 260 also had a water-heated carburetor spacer that was eliminated on the 1963 version. I am guessing that it must have been a source of water leaks. Having a hot-water heated carburetor would have been nice in cold temperatures like what you might see in a Detroit or Montana winter, but it is not necessary for the little bit of "cold" weather that we get here in Tampa.

62 ford int manifold & parts road drafttube.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 29th, 2016 at 02:10 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post

The 260 had a draft tube and an optional PCV valve for California in 1962. They were evidently all given a PCV valves by 1963 (see picture). That means that I could always retrofit my engine to a draft tube and eliminate the PCV valve if I ever really wanted too. The drawing shows that the 1962 260 also had a water-heated carburetor spacer that was eliminated on the 1963 version. I am guessing that it must have been a source of water leaks. Having a hot-water heated carburetor would have been nice in cold temperatures like what you might see in a Detroit or Montana winter, but it is not necessary for the little bit of "cold" weather that we get here in Tampa.

62 ford int manifold & parts road drafttube.jpg
    Actually my 1963 straight six was from California and originally had a big clunking PCV that was inserted where my downdraft tube now lives. The PCV was beat up from years of getting pounded back in after the o-ring friction first let loose. I thought it was ugly, especially with the giant 1.5 inch diameter tube connecting it to the air cleaner.

I cut the nipple off the air cleaner and welded the hole shut, took the downdraft tube off of Gary's displaced engine and took a step back in time. The block already had the hole tapped and ready for the mounting tab.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

PCV valves.

Actually my 1963 straight six was from California and originally had a big clunking PCV that was inserted where my downdraft tube now lives.
    Hello, Jeff.

Do you have a photograph of what your original PCV setup looked like? Both the 1963 Falcons with 170's that I had in the past had draft tubes. What year did PVC valves become standard on all six cylinder Falcons?

1962 63 FORD PCV VALVE NOS C1AZ-6A666-A 221 260 289 FALCON FAIRLANE - .99 1.jpg

It looks like my Falcon will stay in the garage this week. "Tropical Depression 9" is coming and I do not like driving the Falcon in the rain (foggy windows, spinning-sliding tires).

Capture Depression 9.JPG

Rain forecast.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 29th, 2016 at 02:48 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Batten down the hatches!

If you consider most new engines, if you open them up after 100,000 miles appear fairly clean compared to opening up a 1960's engine after 100,000 miles, much of what you see is due to stuff getting sucked into a motor that isn't designed very "clean and green." New motors really have no means for dust/dirt getting into it being a totally closed system. Plus fuel injection has done away with the often polluted and ruined oils from dilution. Synthetic oils and para-synthetic oils are also gooder at keeping things clean.

So, I think if you can seal it up and still let it breath, you will prolong the life of the motor. Aluminum valve covers on new cars have nice threaded and sealed oil filler caps - not something you are going to get on the original valve covers without some serious modification.

You could probably use some large O.D. heat-shrink and shrink a layer or two onto the spout on the valve cover until the cap fits tighter. I've never tried. Would need to measure the two. It might be hard to come exact. Using a large washer at the top of the cap (beyond the spring retainers) might help, but I've never seen these push-on caps stay pushed on all the way. Every time I pop the hood on any of my three '60's vehicles, these things are canted.

Suffice it to say, the engineers back then did a lot, when asked, just to save $1.43 if they could, so don't always think it was the best they could do. Or if they could do it to one model, they would do it on all. It was often the bare minimum they had to do to satisfy the bean counters. At some point it was often cheaper to shift everything over - or it was government mandated.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"