Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini regional & me

Mini regional & me

Well looks like the delivery may not make the show. After the last trip to Seattle on my way home I was having a hard time keeping her n the road. I thought I was just tired. I drove her to work the following week and what the F*** she was every where.
    So I get her home dove under the front end and my drivers side strut bar had come loose. I thought ok no problem. I torqued it backup looked for any other issues and went for my test drive. Same thing. So my only hope right now is to see if our one only good alignment shop can squeeze me in and see if it's just knocked out of alignment.
    Bad news is our one good shop is usually three weeks out on appointments?cross your fingers cause if she needs parts she's staying home.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Check the lower control arm and make sure it didn't get bent. There is a lot of force held back by the strut rod, especially when braking. Did it come loose at the front or rear? I'm assuming at the front.

Good luck and I hope to see you at the show. Let me know if you need parts. I think I still have my old original strut rods and bushings.
    Last edited by pbrown; September 6th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

It came loose at the front. The rod is fine I'll take a closer look at the control arm and compare it to the pass side. Fingers crossed.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I hope you can get an appointment or figure it out on your own! That's a bummer. By "same thing", did you mean it came loose again after you torqued it down or just that it's still not driving right?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Still not driving right. I'm fairly confident it's just way out of alignment. I went out and looked real good at both lower control arms and I cannot see any difference between them. Held a straight edge up to them and they both looked the same. I'll have to pull out my " you like powder coating right " card!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Are the threads stripped? What caused the adjustment nut to all of a sudden get loose?

My guess is the alignment shop adjusted caster by cranking the heck out of the strut rod, putting way too much stress on it. Driving it caused the threads to pop...

I've seen a lot of shops adjust caster this way.. its not the proper way to add 1.5* of caster. Its for fine tuning. 3/4 of a degree max..

Inspect your strut rod closely.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

That's not a bad idea. It tightened back down easily so hopefully it's ok. I'll be out in the shop first light and checking her over. Thanks.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Dug deep onto the delivery today, wheels off, checked wheel bearings, check brakes, got a good look at all the suspension pieces and it all looks Ok. So let us hope it is just an alignment issue
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

You can check simple things like toe-in with a tape measure. Maybe one of the adjusters spun. Make sure they are tight too. Also, make sure the upper control arm nuts are tight too. My alignment guys didn't torque these as they should have on my first Ranchero alignment. They we snug, but not torqued.

Hoping it gets resolved!! It would be a significant bummer to not see it there.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Well just got done begging and pleading to no avail. Alignment shop is booked out three weeks. My appointment is September 29th. Best he could do was put me on the will call list.
    So seeing how I do not trust the two other shops we have I guess I need to decide if it's worth ruining a few hundred dollars worth of tires, and possible crash or just be a worker bee?
    Hmmm now I wish I hadn't sold my truck and trailer so soon. Oh well we will see I'll be there one way or another.
    Speaking of which my good friend Ron wants to drive over in his 65 galaxie. I told him it was probably ok but he'd have to park in the corner. Let me know if this is a problem or not. Thanks Steve.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Tell him to come. There'll be plenty of space I'm told.

As for your car, on your garage floor (that's pretty level and flat) if you pull it in as straight as you can so you see anything about the wheels and tires that would say excess camber? This could only change if the upper control arm shims, or a ball-joint, changed. Caster is hard to see being off visually. Toe-in can be measured (sort of) with a tape measure across the back of the tires compared to the front of the tires. Excess toe-in or too little would only change if the tie-rod-end adjusting sleeves came loose on both ends of the adjuster - or a tie-rod failed.

Because you now have a rack in here you might want to verify the shaft to the steering wheel is all still tight and that sitting (engine off) there isn't excessive play in this new rack.

Sad you only have one shop worth anything there in town, but you'd think even a Les Schwab has means to scope out what might be wrong.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"