Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I've done it! 62 Van

It is an autolite 1100 or 1200 whatever they are. But I have acquired a replacement for it.
    It was missing the little rod that sits on top of one of the little steel balls inside the carb. I found a reman unit that should be here tomorrow. Thanks Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Carb is off and I took it apart only to find that someone had tried to rebuild it before. Unfortunately they left out some of the parts and there were not replacement pieces in the kit. So now I need to find another carb. Bummer time to steal the one off the 65 till I get that done.
    Trying to get it running well enough to come over for the meeting. We shall see.
    Looks like we have matching valve covers...
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

I'd have sent you the Holley 1 barrel I took off the Flarechero when I put on the Weber. Oh well. You are a busy guy lately - that much is for sure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger I might need the whole engine?! How soon you doing the V-8 swap??(kidding, kind of) I have got good spark, good carb, but still can't seem to get the old 144 running very well. At higher rpm (2500+) she runs good but at idle she runs like the gas is still bad? I have drained the tank flushed the lines, new fuel filter, reman carb??? I might have to look for a bad distributor or maybe something with the valves???
    Don't want to waste too much $$ on a motor I plan to swap anyway but I want to drive the van while I finish the delivery. Any ideas Falcon guru's?

Maybe Jeff can give you the details but he just went through a poor running engine and it may have been a combination of bad gas and some electrical issues. I know he changed out about everything you can. Take a volt meter and check voltage to coil while starting and running, coil resistance, check plug wires, voltage from generator (or alternator), etc.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Sounds like a vacuum leak...

I had a rebuilt engine that acted the same way. Another carb fixed the problem..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I think my main problem was a bad coil that damaged my pink resistor wire. Use the test outlined in the manual to check the voltage drop across the pink wire. I ended up replacing the resistance wire and installing a new coil.

The other problem was carburetor related... with both issues simultaneously going on it was extremely frustrating.

I'll have my 170 and 3 Speed available but not until next spring... I'm a bit slower than you and Roger.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Thanks guy's. So far I have checked all the stuff in the book and it all is in spec with the voltage reading I should get. I have installed new points, condenser, rotor,cap, plugs, and wires. Someone had converted this to an alternator vs. the generator. So the voltage regulator is gone?? Maybe something there. Little bit of a hack job with the wiring? I have a one wire alternator I could put in? Is there any critical wire's I should check there?
    I haven't searched to hard for a vacuum leak but have put on a carb off of the 65 chero. The 65 ran great with that carb on it.
    The other thing I am hoping it is not might be some stuck or bad valves? The valve cover was off when I drug her home, so 10 years ago or so maybe someone was looking for the same issue?
    We'll just keep banging away at it. I switch between it and the delivery so I don't get to frustrated with one or the other...

Bad vacuum advance?

Just a guess
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Did you check the compression on each cylinder? The PO had teh valve cover off for some reason, by the sounds of the rest of the van he wasn't trying to simply replace a leaky valve cover gasket.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Compression check is on for this weekend. I was hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I think it has valve issues.. Oh well still a great buy even if I need a new engine..

Motor is toast. Found a spare 200 and getting ready for the swap. Pulled the engine and cleaned up the inside a bit. Now to prep the motor and make it pretty.
    Turns out the engine had been swapped once before. It was a 200 6 that was in it?? Oh well the one I got runs so should be an easy swap.
    Good thing I have my own powder coat shop to make it all pretty..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pressure washing done! Now to pull it apart check it all paint and powder it up, and hopefully have it back in in the newt two weekends. I hope to drive this one to the mini regional.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Such fun. Don't miss it a bit.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"