Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Now I've done it! 62 Van

All those things have checked out good. PCV rattles, good strong suction from the vacuum port. Oil cap is the same as I ran on the other motors just chrome.
    I banged on the muffler this morning and it sounded fairly solid. I may just and see what is in there...

I guess I should be more specific on the "blow by", I am getting smoke (exhaust?) through the oil cap. I am thinking the exhaust is partially clogged and the excess pressure is coming out there?
    Last edited by doghows; August 29th, 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Excess pressure from the exhaust side is getting into the crankcase? Through what means? The only connection between the exhaust side of the combustion chamber is past the rings and the valve stems. And I think the motor would not run if it got too bad at all. Think banana up the tailpipe.

If you wanted a new exhaust anyway, and this is a way to get it - cut away.

I'm not sure the history of this motor you got, how long it sat, and where, but if not stored correctly the cylinders could have gotten pitted by condensation getting into the combustion chamber through any open port. You may find in cases like this that the rings also get a little "glued to the piston" and may not all seal well. Will maybe get better as it runs more.

While it is running, if you place a hand over where the PCV valve usually goes, is the pressure steady (all cylinders) or pulsing (some number, but not all, cylinders.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I will check it tonight. I hope it is not anything too bad. The guy had the engine stored in an engine bag for about 3 years he said. Compression check on it showed about 165 on all cylinders. I will run it some more tonight and top off the coolant and see... Thanks for the help I will post up some results tomorrow.

Cooling system is in. Button up this weekend and start to drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got a chance to finally see the van on Saturday, definitely making fast work of things. We got the brakes straightened out and solved the mystery of the shift linkage. I also found out Steve doesn't stop at sawzalls...
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

oh no! not another tool of destruction! I think he likes the sparks!
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Sparks are pretty....

Got the Van running and driving. Took her for a short trip around the neighborhood and she drives very good. Still a little smokey but clearing up nicely. Some pics to follow.
    Thanks for all the help Brian it definitely helped and put me about a week ahead.

Here is how she sits now.

I took some pics of the dash section I have. If you want I'll the wiper arm holes and the ignition section and mail them to you. I am only interested in the speaker grill section, the rest is yours.
    Brian

Wiper section yes. I got the ignition section hammered out and the switch in. So I am good there for now. I will need to fix that one wiper section so that would be cool.
    I have your parts clean already so I will start to powder them tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by BPVan View Post
    I got a chance to finally see the van on Saturday, definitely making fast work of things. We got the brakes straightened out and solved the mystery of the shift linkage. I also found out Steve doesn't stop at sawzalls...
    So am I missing something or are there no safety glasses in this photo?

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...9&d=1346766804
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

C'mon Pat, Steve's a pro!
    Brian

Careful or you'll end up with "Bazooka Steve" for a nickname!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I had on my safety contacts??

So the "smoking" issue is clearing itself up a bunch. Now just getting some under heavy acceleration. Not sure if I trust driving it to Woodland yet. If not I will toss it on the trailer and go that way.
    She runs and drives real well, but might need to do the clutch. I was hope to not have to because I want to switch it to an auto but the trow out bearing is chirping pretty good now.. Oh well should only be about a 3hr job...