Thread: Brackets for one wire gen. to alternator conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brackets for one wire gen. to alternator conversion

I've searched this forum for instructions and suggestions on converting a generator equipped Falcon to an alternator equipped Falcon, I've found some great tips, thanks guys!!

What I cannot find is whether I can buy brackets that are manufactured and sold for any particular conversion. I have both a 6 cylinder Falcon, 200 ci, and an 8 cylinder Falcon, 260 ci, both 1964 Falcons.

The most important for me to find are the alternator brackets for the 8 cylinder Falcon.

The 6 cylinder has already been converted to an alternator using a Ford alternator and the current wiring harness but it is not working right, it is possibly overcharging the battery, definitely causing the "wet" battery to bubble over at times.

I've tried to fix it many times, no luck, and the easiest fix seems to be to just toss the whole mess switch to a one wire alternator for this car, but I may need different brackets for that, and would like to know where to find them.

So, can I buy ready made brackets for the conversions to one wire alternator on both of these cars? I intend to use a 70's to 80's GM one wire alternator as that seems to be the most frequently recommended and most highly recommended conversion.

Thank you!

Quick update: I've just finished doing more research on the internet and found that some people are using a FORD "one wire" alternator for this conversion, but no further information was provided. Has anybody done this conversion with a FORD one wire alternator and is it just as straightforward and simple as the GM conversion?
    Last edited by Wilbur; June 14th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.

It's been a really long time since I've done my conversion. Someone may produce new ones but 10 years ago you had to get them off a donor car. I think I needed the timing cover too. I think anything post-`65 like a Mustang, Maverick, Fairmont, Monarch, etc. had an alternator.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I run a Ford style 100A one wire alternator on a V8. The alternator is made by Powermaster.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I've done a couple Ford style 1-wire conversions. Google "Ford 3G alternator conversion" for help. I've got pictures on a few of my threads for both the 6 and 8 conversions I've done. I'll track down specific threads if you need me to. We're about to do the same conversion to Gene's Ranchero (Smithkid) too, so you will probably see pictures related to that here soon as well.

Powermaster and Chevrolay or others all do the same thing. Money and bling-factor are typically the only difference. The Ford 3G alternator is normally a serpentine system, but you can put a v-pulley on them. And they put out a lot of juice when/if needed (both of mine are 140 amp versions) - but I've not had a problem overcharging. Usually if you have overcharging, it's traced to an older style regulator (mechanical) and that can be remedied using a solid-state regulator. But sometimes it's a bad connector and the regulator isn't sensing the correct voltage of the battery and thinks it needs more. And sometimes it is a gremlin. And not the AMC kind. A one-wire system will require a large one-wire to the battery though a large fuse (about 10% larger than the max current capacity of the alternator), so it is a pretty simple install.

Good luck!

My Ranchero with a 200 six and the fuse block I added.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=298

My update to a V8 with the one-wire 3G.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=521

The picture attachment is the Ranchero motor before it had a V8.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; June 16th, 2014 at 12:18 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"