Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ford-o-matic parking pawl

This is true! The C4 is nice but a C4 with a 2.79 8" rear end is where it's at. When I put in a 2.79 to replace my stock 3.5, the RPMs decreased an avg. of 21.5% in the 50-75 mph range.

Yep, 75 mph! My six would have exploded if I tried that with the stock rear end. It is a great highway cruiser and I rarely gun it from a stop so the loss of power taking off doesn't bother me. Hardly noticeable.

Flex plates can make real nasty noises when they go south and I would consider them a cheap fix. Hope that takes care of it!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

That is a FMX they have a cast iron case , made by borg warner for ford they were used in all kinds of fords,mercs, t birds,and what ever, ...jh

I once helped a friend in high school build a 351 Windsor and FMX tranny (like this one). We put a B&M shift kit into it too and wedged it into his 63 Falcon hardtop. Tight fit... He would rev up to about 5000 RPM in first gear and drop it into second and the car would go almost side-ways doing almost 50 miles per hour. Great fun. Stupid kids.

That's a great transmission if you have a lot of power and torque - and don't care that they weigh 500 lbs. It's not exactly that heavy, but it might as well be when you are on your back bench-pressing one of them. Definitely not a 6 cylinder transmission. That's for sure. A C4 is ideal.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; March 7th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Oh, and as for the bell housing on that particular transmission in the picture -- that's for an FE motor (352, 390, 428, side-oilers, etc.) Mid to Pre-70's Big block Ford.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

t bird rebuilt transmission

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum61 View Post
    Hey,

The saga continues. So the guy working on the car here in Tucson says that the car needs a new "flywheel"(flex plate). He showed it to me and it indeed is totalled. This would correspond with the sound and location of the rattle the car was making before it crapped out. He thinks that is the real problem and the crack he saw in the block may be superficial. Of course he can't check the block without first replacing the flex plate and starting the thing up.

I found a whole rebuilt 3-speed Cruise-o-matic transmission from a '61 T-Bird with 0 miles on it that the guy has been sitting on and will get rid of for $100. He swears it will fit my car but when I went to look at it, it looked huge (esp. the bellhousing) in comparison to the 2-speed Ford-o-matic in my Falcon. The price is right, but I don't want to spend a $100 on a transmission I can't use. That said, if it does fit I would probably save the money spent on gas with a 3-speed. I attached some photos of the Cruise-o-matic. The dimensions of it are roughly 35" long, bell housing 20.25" X 17" in diameter (the two measurements account for the flange).

Any advice would be great. Thanks a ton.
    Grant
    i would love to buy that transmission has he still have it?

has he still have the tbird transmission?..it`s just what my 62 mercury monterey needs..