Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Little @ time

I don't know if you can do this with your engine but with my six I was able to pull the distributor, put a 1/4" socket extension down onto the oil pump shaft, hook up a drill and prime oil through the system.

Gave me piece of mind before starting the engine after a top end rebuild and cleaning the block. You might do a Google search to see if that's somehow possible with your engine...unless someone here knows??

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Smile

Maybe a 100 is an over statement, but theres always the peanut gallary.

Guy

I did this a coupla months ago b/4 starting my new 302 and all worked fine. But I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest to you what was suggested to me. Use a good duct tape and secure the socket to the extension(s) that you use. You probably don't want to drop the pan to retrieve the socket that fell off your extension.

But I'm "figgerin" you don't need to do this procedure because you've turned it over so much attempting to start it.
    Last edited by SmithKid; March 18th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Guy-

I seriously doubt you have much wrong, if anything, with the wiring. I certainly don't think there's anything with what you added with the alternator. It really is a pretty basic wiring job, and you appear very detail oriented. With the distributor being 180 degrees out, that would have made it pretty hard to start, so with the new battery in I would play it safe and just do everything from under the hood until you can get it to start.

1) use a remote start switch (+bat to the S terminal on the solenoid).
    2) jumper between +bat to the red Pertronix wire
    3) jumper between +bat to the + on coil.
    4) black on Pertronic to the - on coil.

Nothing else is needed to start it. 12 volts to the coil isn't good for real long if it's a stock coil. But just to see if you can get it to run for more than a minute, you'll be OK. Once you can get it to run that long, then you can hook back up one thing back to normal at a time.

Or just put in the new battery and see what happens.

It's snowing, raining, windy, sunny, (rinse, repeat) every few minutes around here. Very scitzoid weather.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Oh - and I agree, you probably don't have to worry about priming the pump. You have been turning it over plenty. If you decide to anyway, I use a long 1/4" drive extension with a 5/16 socket taped about 2 or 3 times to hold it on.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Smile

I have been pulling the plugs and turning it over for about 10 seconds to get the oil flowing before start attemps. When I pull the valve cover off I can see fresh oil everywhere so according to Com Camp the oil takes over after the engine turns over for lubing the internals. I am installing the altenator unit today and will begin going over the wiring I installed. At lease I found out the battery had a bad cell in it yesterday.

Thank all of you for your help,
    Guy

OK so I am tired of this cold wet weather. Roger get some tools together, I will pack up the motor home, and we are off to warmer country!!!
    I wish. I hope you get it figured out Guy, I wish we were closer and we could have a tech day at your place. Any way keep plugging away you will get it and it will be worth it. We will stay tuned. Good Luck...

After waking up again today to snow and ice on the road - I'm with you Steve! ENOUGH ALREADY with the snow!

Well Guy, as your post says... A little at a time. So relax and remember to breathe - always. I'm am still awaiting the post that says "IT'S ALIVE."
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"