Thread: Door lock covers

Door lock covers

My right-side door lock cover had been missing its spring and now it seems that its pivot shaft has broken.

Is it necessary to change the lock tumblers in order to replace the lock cover? These are from Mac's auto parts. They do not have the arms sticking off the back like used ones I saw on e-bay. Is the part with the swing arm a socket that the lock tumbler plugs into?

Door lock covers.jpg

Door lock tumblers on e-bay with arms on back. Are the arms removable or are they part of the lock?

Door lock covers on e-bay.JPG
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I just looked at the broken set I have in my drawer. The arm on the back is easily removable. There is a little coil spring you lift up and the whole assembly slide out through a slot.

I bought a new reproduction set because both of mine had broken flaps, sloppy tumblers and had been hit by an aggressive sanding disc (not by me) . I was disappointed by the quality of the repops but used them anyway. The thin stainless that wraps around the pot metal base was poorly crimped and hit the door rather than the base of the lock. I had to massage it with a tiny hammer and file a bit until it fit down tight enough for me to slide on the retaining clip. I did not get them from Mac's.

I have seen a replacement flap for about $15.00 but for some reason they only listed one for the passenger side. I can't remember which vendor but one of the usual suspects.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

It's always something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I just looked at the broken set I have in my drawer. The arm on the back is easily removable. There is a little coil spring you lift up and the whole assembly slide out through a slot.
    Hello, Jeff.

Thanks for the description. I ordered a “Door-Ignition Lock Set with Ford Logo Keys, Ford Falcon & Ranchero 1960-61-62-1963" off e-bay for $54.99 + $5.80 postage. The set of door locks by themselves without the ignition switch at Mac’s is $66.95 plus postage.

Lock set on ebay.JPG

My car came with one key for the ignition and another key for the door locks. It will be nice to reduce this back to one key for both like it is supposed to be.

Ford said that they provided a separate lock key for the trunk so that you could protect your valuables by just giving the valet parking attendant the ignition/door lock key. Really? Did Ford expect Falcon owners to be using valet parking? That was for the ritzy Thunderbird people.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 17th, 2014 at 04:07 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)