Thread: Roger / Gene / Patrick door popper question

Roger / Gene / Patrick door popper question

Where did you guys mount your poppers on Genes car?? Or I should say solenoids. I was looking at mine this weekend and I think the glass will be in the way where I want to go. I really don't want to put the door back together just to take it all apart again... Help...

I created mounts for micro switches on his door handles and then we used the same pull-angle (for what used to go to the handle) for the solenoid. I can't remember exactly what it looked like, but I'm sure we could pop a panel loose to photog it. Unless Gene did already. I think we used clothes hanger wire too.

I do know whatever it is we did, works very well. His door seals are so tight and new we didn't have to use the spring-loaded door poppers (yet).
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes I remember the coat hanger wire and the micro switch. I remember we couldn't get the door open after I finished with the panels and then you guys remembered the micro switches. Hook up the battery and pop opened the door...

The solenoids are mounted horizontally at the mid-point of the door panel. I don't recall exactly but they may be forward of the window for clearance. There is coat hanger wire from the solenoid to a piece of cut down sheet metal roofing tie or something like that. That piece needed to be "L" shaped to clear the latch if I recall correctly.

As stated, no poppers were used. The inside door handles were converted to electric.

It all works very well but there could be a problem if the battery drained. We weren't able to have a backup means of entry. I have an idea for one by using a mechanical choke cable. Gene and Roger can see me offline for this one.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Like a dummy, I didn't think to take any fotos of the work you guys did. But I bet I could be talked into popping a door panel off for a quick foto. However, Patrick is correct..... I also remember there is an L-shaped piece at the latch end to allow some clearance around the latch. So far I haven't locked the fob into the car to lock myself out, but it did require some careful attention to not fully close the door while I had the battery out of the car for cleaning and painting.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Thanks guys. I will do some more head scratching and keep an eye out for room. Not sure if I will do the micro switch inside or not?? I like the idea but if I lock my keys in it and keep the manual inner handles I can pop the vent window and "break in".

I now remember the L-bracket too. That was Patrick's idea as I recall. It was a joint effort, but it works really well. I think you could rig up a hidden switch connected to your auxiliary motorcycle battery hidden behind the seat. You got one of those planned too, right?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"