Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagon build

Nice Wagon

I like your cow head upholstery, white steering wheel, white roof, and luggage rack. My first car while I was in high school was a base model 1963 four-door Falcon wagon with 170 motor and a Ford-O-Matic transmission. The car had a lot of nice features.

It will be on display this Sunday at the W. Seattle show...if the rain holds off. Come check it out!

I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Now we gotta work on something to strap to the rack...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I didn't always drive a wagon...

I used to be cool.

Here is a picture from 1995
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Wagon build

Hot Dog! You were definitely cool in that beauty. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Red convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Hot Dog! You were definitely cool in that beauty. Larry
    Hello, Jeff.

Is the station wagon your second Falcon? It indicates that you must have been happy with the convertible or you would not have bought a second Falcon. It is also interesting that even though the convertible was "cool", for your second Falcon you chose the more functional station wagon.

I really like the station wagons. They have so much room inside and having glass all around makes them easy to see out of. I like the Rancheros, but the wagons give you cargo capacity plus a roof to keep it dry, a back seat for passengers, and you can add a roof rack.

If I were to ever get another Falcon I would probably look for a 1963 Falcon Fordor Wagon with a six-cylinder 170 like I had in high school. I like the 1963's because the had they had electric windshield wipers, self adjusting brakes, and hydraulic lifters. It was the perfect car.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 3rd, 2016 at 01:56 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Hi Dennis, I have had several Falcons and two Comets. This weekend I will scan in a few pictures and post.

I first bought them because they were inexpensive and easy to work on. Guess they became familiar.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

Wagon build

Jeff, your quote "I first bought them because they were inexpensive and easy to work on". That must be true. I haven't stopped working on mine since the day I took on the task of rebuilding it. Most is my fault, you are correct about the ability to work on them. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

But Larry... I don't think yours fits the inexpensive part of that equation.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Wagon build

It's inexpensive in relation to some cars?? Even some Falcons. The winner at Hot August Nights a couple of years ago was a Falcon wagon and in talking to the owners, they had over a 1/4 million into it. SEE!!!!!! Oh well, I'll just stick to easy to work on I guess.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Finding parts has been easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I have had several Falcons and two Comets. I first bought them because they were inexpensive and easy to work on.
    What is nice about the Falcon is that even though it is over 50 years old, its parts were so conventional and were used in so many other cars for so long that they are all still easily available. When I had the rear end rebuilt on my car last week, the mechanic essentially had it done in a day. The brake shoes, wheel bearings, and differential bearings all came from the NAPA auto parts store next door to the mechanic's shop.

It was the same when I had my engine and automatic transmission re-built. There were no problems with parts availability. The torque converter was sent out for re-manufacture, but it came back right away. All the parts needed to rebuild the front end were readily available. I can buy a rebuilt generator for my car from O'Reilly auto parts store for $89.

The new bearings in the differential made a world of difference. The rear end whine is gone and the sound level in the interior is very much diminished. When I drive to work in the mornings now, I only hear the pleasant sounds of the smooth V-8 and the quiet purr of the exhaust. I have been leaving the radio off and just enjoying listening to the engine and exhaust. Ohhhhhhh, they sound nice.

There have been a lot of repairs made on this car, but with each thing that gets fixed it just keeps running better and better and better.

The winner at Hot August Nights a couple of years ago was a Falcon wagon and in talking to the owners, they had over a 1/4 million into it.
    Sometimes it seems like I am getting close to that with my Falcon .
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 4th, 2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Wagon build

I believe Carol already thinks I surpassed that 1/4 Million mark. Not really.
    I was able to marry the most beautiful girl in the world , my high school sweetheart more than 50 years ago and she also happens to be the most patient girl in the world.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Wagon build

Just in case you wanted to see what the most beautiful girl in the world looked like.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Wow!now let's see the groom, same timeframe.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

Wagon build

Jeff, this is me. No one would ever recognize me, except Carol.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Jeff, this is me. No one would ever recognize me, except Carol.
    Are you sure that isn't James Dean?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA