Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Drag Racing

Larry, I had to really fuss with all this when I needed to relocate the axle relative to the wheel opening on the Ranchero. Finding bits that claim they fit right was tough.

I couldn't quite tell what I was seeing last time I looked and meant to ask for clarity -:but then got distracted and forgot to. I hope you have it all figured out now, but know you are always welcome to call and in most cases I'll come right away to give you a second set of eyes on something.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Drag Racing

Thanks Roger, I know you would help in a heartbeat, you always have. It was just a brain fart on my part to not verify the alignment.
    I got it all back together again. I was able to use the existing pin by running a 5/16 nut up against the pin end and then ground off the corners of the nut. It was exactly the thickness I was after.
    Took a little work to get the pins to align with the holes, but with a little prying it fell in.
    I did one side at a time to keep the rear end in place.
    Rechecked the pinion angle and it stayed the same. Driveshaft is 4 degrees up and pinion is 2 degrees down. Just what Quick Performance asked for.
    Got the traction bars re-set and now I might get some good weather to take it out and drive it. I am supposed to drive it about 5 miles at easy pace to warm up the rear end, let it cool down, and do that four times. Then drive it 100 miles at normal speeds before I do any hard launches. Attached some pictures. This time you can see the pin coming through the axle housing support.
    One is of my messy garage, every tool I own is on the floor I believe. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Supersonic Larry

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    I was able to use the existing pin by running a 5/16 nut up against the pin end and then ground off the corners of the nut. It was exactly the thickness I was after.
    Very nice! I like your white letter tires.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Drag Racing

Got the Falcon out and drove it twice now. Per the Quick Performance break in directions on the rear end I need to drive it four times about 5 miles at low speeds to warm the rear end and then let it cool down. After the four trips, I have to drive it 100 miles with no hard launches.

Nothing broke, lost some screws out of one wheel cap. Had one screw left, the cap was rattling when I got home. No rear end noise though.

I am going to try and attach a youtube video of some nostalgia drag races in Tucson last night. My brothers Fairlane is in several shots.
    Larry
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGXNGIz4lA
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I think we all have a few screws loose, but glad to hear it's going well. When you actually take it down the track I wanna see a YouTube video of that!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Nothing broke, lost some screws out of one wheel cap. Had one screw left, the cap was rattling when I got home. No rear end noise though.
    This song is for you, Larry. "Now we were Ford men, and we likely knew, that we would race until something blew".

Hot Rod Race - Charlie Ryan & The Timberline Riders:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mYkF9OjBrE
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Drag Racing

Not sure if everyone knows all the issues I've run into in putting a 9" rear end in the car for drag racing. I bought the housing and 3rd member with 4-11 gears and trac loc posi. The instructions said to drive it 3 times at low speeds for about 5 miles to break in the ring and pinion gears. I did that and started having all kinds of vibrations, noise that we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Thought the drive shaft was too short. Got a new one. Thought a tire was out of round, got a new one. The leaf springs were weak, got new ones. Thought the traction bars were causing the pinion angle to be off. Bought Cal Tracs. Drove the car, just got worse. Finally sounded like it was going to blow up.
    Pulled the 3rd member, found ring and pinion gears were worn out. Sent the 3rd member back to them, free shipping back, sent me a new one. This time the break in instructions were a little different. Drive it 5 times at low speeds for 5 miles each trip. Then 100 miles at regular speed without hard launches. I was 74 miles into the break in and on the way home from the Maltby show, bunch of noise. Everyone that listened to it, thought it was something riding, like tires or something.
    Sent an email to Quick Performance and while waiting for a response, took out the 3rd member. Looked beautiful. No shavings, nothing. Quick Performance called me and told me it is just the posi discs causing the noise. QP has been fantastic. I have owned that setup for over a year. They could have just said too bad, but have shipped new rear ends to me at no charge. He told me several stories including his own brother had exactly the same issues I did, even told me that all of his buddies told him it was tires or something riding. He guarantees the clutches are the noise maker. Now I have it all reinstalled, will drive in around in figure eights at low speeds to break in the clutches.
    Hope I haven't driven you to tears with boredom. I will let you know of the results. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry, I think I know the noise you are talking about. I had that noise after I changed the fluid in my Isuzu trooper diffy. (Every time) Even though I used gear oil that was supposed to have the special additive for limited slip, I had to add a little more of the additive. It took me forever to figure out what it was. It sounded like the tires must have been rubbing. Drove me crazy for a really long time.
    Anyway, bummer about all the troubles. At least you have lots of new stuff!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Drag Racing

Don, that is exactly what the noise sounds like. Very loud though.
    Yep, lots of new stuff and finally got it all back together tonight. Tomorrow I will be driving it around if it doesn't rain. Now just need to try and finalize plans for the Nationals. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry, that's bizarre to have so much trouble. Are you sure you're livin' right?

Just kidding.

I hope this one works out good for you, but hopefully it can at least ride down to Sactomato and represent the club. I wish I could go.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"