Thread: Roof Rails

Roof Rails

I have a problem again. I cannot seem to get the roof rail leveling compound finished. After two tries, I admit it. I'm a dork. I used the less expensive stuff per Wesco then the most expensive stuff per Wesco. Still looks like *?%!*& (poop). I have seen several Falcons and some are very good and some are mediocre. Nothing looks as bad as what I've done. I did the stuff last summer when it was nice and warm like it was recommended. It doesn't flow!!!!! Any ideas, feedback, take over the cursing for me??? Thanks Larry

Hi Larry, I have not done this before... but I have a big wagon roof that needs it desperately. When you find out the secret, please share.

Roof Rails

Well, I went to Wesco for the third time to try and solve this. They told me there were a lot of complaints about the material I used the 2nd time for not flowing. Product was from Duramix or something. Now I guess 3M has bought them out and has put a different (better) product on the market that is supposed to flow a lot better and still set up in 8 minutes. We'll see.
    I did learn how to take out the compound out of the rail though. I bought a 4" braided wire brush for my variable speed sander that cut right through the compound and the rail looks great. Thankful that my car wasn't painted yet though. I am going to try the new compound this weekend if the weather stays warm so more to come.

Roof Rails

Ok, got it done and it looks good. Jeff, I used 3M Automix Self Leveling Seam Sealer and it flows very good. Too good, as a matter of fact, on the sloping portion of the rail. But it is 100% better than before. I used one tube for both sides so you will probably need two tubes for both of your longer rails. I bought the stuff at WESCO and they let me borrow their gun. I go to the one in Everett. Larry

Thank you for the advice. I'm looking at this next spring for the paintwork.