Thread: Engine paint

Engine paint

I finally had my '68 200 checked and here's the stats; 13%,17%,15%,4%,5%,10% on the leakdown, 155,160160,160,150,155 on the comp. test. He said even if all cyl were 17%, that would be good. I was hoping for an explanation for my low power and 14mpg....

That said, now that I know the motor is "good" I'll be pulling my head soon to have the broken exhaust bolts extracted and maybe have it milled and do some porting (I'll be calling you, Kenny!). Since I'll be keeping this engine for at least several years, I want to put a good paint on it that won't fade/crack. Is POR 15 the best stuff around, or should I consider something else?

Bellevue Auto Paints seems to have gone away - any suggestions on the eastside of places to go?

Thanks!
    T.
    Last edited by Sedanman; July 31st, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Go to Wesco for good auto paint. Use a single stage urethane if you want high end show quality.

Really you should looking at Duplicolor or VHT engine enamel in the spray can. Get the engine clean and these will work very well.

Look at my engine block next time. It was powder coated burgundy to match the interior.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

LOL - I've never heard of a powdercoated block! Must have missed seeing that at the Ford picnic.

I don't have the equip to spay anything but from a can; Are both the Duplicolor and VHT better than POR? I'm also thinking about getting a finned aluminum valve cover, so want something that can stick to the allumum in between the fins. I think they come polished but I haven't checked yet...
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch