Thread: Need assistance removing starter motor 200 inline six please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need assistance removing starter motor 200 inline six please

I have a 1964 Ford Falcon sedan with a 200 ci inline six and three speed top loader transmission. I'm replacing the clutch, well, removing it so I can figure out what went wrong inside.

I've removed the transmission today, now I'm attempting to remove the bell housing, and I've got all bolts off EXCEPT for the one at the top of the starter motor, it's a "high mount" starter motor.

I can't get in their with an open end wrench, and if I use a socket wrench, I can get the socket on there but there isn't enough clearance to turn the wrench at all.

It got dark before I could try other methods but I figure it doesn't hurt to get online here and ask if anyone has this setup in their Falcon and has removed their starter motor on a high mount starter mated to their 200 ci inline six motor with 3 speed top loader trans.

Tomorrow I hope to figure it out but just in case I'm also asking on this forum. Thanks!

You may have to use a crows foot? It looks like the end of an open end wrench but has a end on it your ratchet would fit into. If that makes any sense. Or (without seeing it) can you get a wobbly onto the socket so you can get the ratchet on? HTH.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I have a (starter) wrench I inherited from my Dad that looks like this, and has been very handy over the years. I'll be home on the evening of the 10th if you'd like to borrow it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Thanks for the replies Dog and Smith. Good news, I tried again but this time using a special tool called SUNLIGHT rather than straining as I did last night to see what I could after the sun had gone down.

In the light of day I was able to see that if I took a long extension and kept the wrench some 7 or so inches away I was able to get the clearance needed to turn that bolt and finish removing the starter motor, and thus bell housing.

Once I got the clutch out of the car, I saw what my original problem was, one of the "fingers" of the three fingers on the pressure plate SNAPPED one night when I pushed the clutch pedal in to start off from a red light.

I heard a "bang" and the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there. I started the car in gear and drove it home.

So now I must find a new pressure plate and clutch. The clutch has little wear on it but I'll replace it. The pressure plate, whoever rebuilt this, they put in the wrong finger, the one finger doesn't match the other two and there is uneven wear on what is left of it.

O'Reilly's does have these parts but they are made in China, so I won't be using those parts. I found a place that rebuilds clutches etc. so I'll let them have a look at things.

Again, thank you for offering your advice, these forums are wonderful places to help one another out. Thank you. :-)