Thread: switching from manual to automatic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

switching from manual to automatic

I'm going to be moving to a town with steep hills and am considering changing the transmission over from manual to automatic in my 62 Mercury Comet. I have loved the 3-on-the-tree for the last 20+ years that I've had this car, but the new hills are pretty steep and hard to avoid.

I wouldn't be doing this work myself but would take it to a shop.

What kinds of things should I be thinking about for this process? I have a shop I've been working with and have already scheduled an engine rebuild with them so it makes sense to have them change out the transmission when the engine is already out. Or is it important to take it to a transmission only place?

Anything I should make sure the shop does or doesn't do?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    noelle
    Noelle McClure
    1962 Mercury Comet

Noelle -

I think we're to ascertain from the year and due to it still being a 3-speed manual, that this is a stock 170 6 cylinder motor? If so, that puts you into a little-or-none category of options. The automatic found behind a 1962 Falcon/Comet and a 170 6 cyl. was a 2-speed automatic. Though you can find them, if you look long enough, they are not all that easy to find in good shape and nobody (or few) want to touch them anymore. This will be your most simple swap though, if you can get the parts.

You can, maybe, get a new 3-speed C4 adapted to the early 6 cyl. block, but that usually requires a post-1966 200 6 cyl. engine, which has an updated transmission mounting bolt-pattern, or perhaps someone has made an adapter. I've not done that research, so if anyone out there knows of one, maybe you can chime in?

If you have a newer motor already, then finding a C4 for it will be easier, somewhat, and rear-transmission mounts are made to install those already.

I guess it comes down to knowing exactly what motor you have.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks for that helpful info.
    Yep, still the stock 170 6 cylinder motor.
    Sounds like I might be sticking with a manual transmission, after all. I was kind of on the fence about switching over anyway.

I'll see what the shop learns in their research but if I don't switch over, at least that saves me some money! I'll just have to learn the best ways around town to avoid the steepest parts.

Thanks again for weighing in.
    Noelle McClure
    1962 Mercury Comet

Ford-O-Matic

Two-speed Falcon automatics show up on e-bay fairly regularly.

I just did a quick glance at e-bay and saw a Ford-O-Matic transmission for a 260 V-8 listed. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-1963-F...wAAOSw9-Va0PmH

The 260 transmissions had a different torque converter than what came for the six cylinder transmissions, but everything else is probably the same.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Another option, depending on your other estimate, of course, is to get a newer 200 6 and a C4 and do a swap. I just looked on Craigslist and saw a complete motor/3-speed automatic (C4) for $750!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/p...577912071.html

Relatively simple swap since it's the same engine mounts (you'll need a transmission mount, which is available). Driveline will need to be made at Drivelines NW for a couple hundred, but for about $1000 (plus labor) you're gonna have a totally upgraded car.

Again, this depends on the condition of the donors and labor. But it may be way less than a motor rebuild alone and you'll have the automatic you need. .
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"