Thread: Where are the others?

Where are the others?

Hello,All!

I just joined this site,in hopes of finding out more about my new prize. It's a '61 Ranchero "Linemans truck".(I'll post pics,as soon as I can.)

According the the previous owner,a good friend,there was only 300 made for '61.I'm looking for all I can get on it,info wise,starting with the powertrain,and going into the right color combo.

Currenty,it sports a 289,(I know,not original.Possibly a 260,or I-6.) auto,and needs a lot of help in the cosmetics.

Any help with this project will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Robert
    Last edited by drowndrat; March 12th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Welcome to the club. Your Ranchero probably came with a 144 L6. The 260 was first made available, in the Falcon (and variants), in 63.

Post some photos.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Robert,

You can measure across center-to-center between the top two bolts of the bell-housing to determine whether this is either an early 260/289 or a later 289/302. I'm spacing out what the distances are between each type, but as soon as you post what it actually is I can measure one of the 3 blocks I have here to see if they agree. I do know the older block style was wider across the top between these bolts than the later block style. It's important to know what you have, since transmission change choices are fewer and farther between if you have the early block.

Also, do you have 4-lug or 5-lug front and rear wheels? If 4, then it came with a 6-cyl, if 5, then maybe this was, in fact, a real rare bird... unless it's seen a lot of modification.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"