Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: `62 winter projects

I also have completed a couple of projects this winter. I took advantage of a friendly powder coating guy and had him powder coat my brake/clutch pedal assembly and then installed the roller bearing kit as mentioned in another thread. I also (with a couple of other peoples help) swapped out my cam and lifters for one that gets me a bit more vacuum, a better idle, and also a bit more low rpm grunt. I also don't feel that I lost any noticeable amount of ponies. I used a Edelbrock 2122 setup. I also added the rocker nuts that allow adjustment of the stock rockers. So far I'm very pleased with the results.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I better get busy with my stuff and stop powdering everything, no wonder I'm behind?? I want a ride in yours Gene
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I've got a question about the strut rod bushings. The sheet that came with them shows a centering collar. Nothing like that when I removed mine although there was a fragment of metal you can see to the left of the nuts.

So I'm guessing the illustration is just generic and the protrusions that come together when you push the bushings together over the sleeve do the centering?? Didn't see anything about a centering collar in the manual.

And they talk about torquing the nut to 75 ft. lbs. but I've heard others say they tighten until the length of the spacer prevents you from compressing any further.

Any strut rod tips appreciated. It sure is nice to finally have a few hours of sunlight after work to get things done during the weekdays.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I've seen a variety of configurations on these. I have a new set around here somewhere that had the rubber only. This style uses the sleeve as a crush/stop to keep from over-compressing the bushings. But you do torque this style (with the sleeve) and not on the other. The other type used the lock nuts and that was it. Tighten until the bushing bulges.

You show two nuts - are they for one side? Being lock nuts that doesn't make sense and the instructions doesn't show them drawn in. Usually you have a rear nut and a forward nut, but the rearward one is usually not that style. The narrow side of the nut would be the stop against the washer. It would work, I guess.

Some strut rods didn't use a rear nut - the stop was part of the rod and was not adjustable. I've not seen that style on an early Falcon.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; March 18th, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"