Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Little @ time

Smile

Smithkid,

I tried starting her again and found the battery is not being charged. Its an issue I will deal with after our vacation. I will also have to purchase a new ignition switch, mines trashed after all the use. Just another small thing.
    I am going to order a switch. It would be great to find a place to get an atenator to regulator wirering hareness from. Anyone know were I could locate one?

falcon cobra,

It is in the seventies down here today. A fine day to get out in the shop in Albuquerque.

For now I am so glad to have gotten it running. You might have known, April Fools Day. Boy don't that just fit me perfect. Ha Ha
    Man it sounds strong.
    Guy

Guy-

This is awesome. I'm glad for you. Having started a lot of motors for the first time you are always smiling from ear-to-ear on all of them. Just like you were.

You checked the alternator, so that's good. I think you said (I'll have to look again) that the regulator was new. So that leaves really only 4 wires to check. If you doubt the harness you made, then all you really should need to do is pull the + bat terminal (off the battery) and check for continuity and shorts between and against these 4 wires. For something like this I use the "beeper" part of the Volt/Ohm meter and just see if it beeps for each of the wires from the alt to the reg, but not between each wire. You should probably pull the wires off the alternator too, just to make sure you don't get reading through the diode bridge inside.

I know Gene's is doing some wacky things - his light is on and flickering all the time. But his battery appears to be charging. Have not focused on that issue yet, but he will soon.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise with the added benefit of some piece of mind. Thanks for keeping us in the know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Smile

Roger

I ordered an ignition switch and key cylinder with 2 keys from Macs today. And just to celebrate I bought a pair of new fender top ornaments too.

When we get back I know with you guys help we'll get this wiring right. Its always something simple (once you find out what IT is). Tomorrow I'm going to bring the battery into Autozone to have it checked and charged. That will be it for now.

Thanks
    Guy

Smile

Great, I found the forum.

I emptied the 50/50 and pulled all of the old Ford type hose clamps and installed new ones. I had started the engine up after I rebuilt it and all the 50/50 leaked out of the old clamps. The old ones looked correct but I did not have any luck with them sealing. I also washed and dried the engine bay off to get it looking new again.

I need to get the altenator wiring straitghened out new.

Hello to everybody,
    Guy

Welcome back Guy. Good to see you did not give up the old girl. Lots of progress on a bunch of different rides. You have a lot of catching up to do on the forums. And by all means fire away with the questions..

Smile

Thanks man, it really felt good to get back into the shop.
    Next steps:
    Pull the plugs and squirt a little marvel oil into the cyclinders sense shes been setting a while.
    Fill her up with new 50/50.
    Fix that wiring issue with the altenator conversion. I was looking at it when I was changing out the hose clamps and I have the large yellow 'batt' wire from the back of the altenator going up to the 'A' on the regulator. I am thinking it needs to terminate at the positive side of the soleniod. I have a large black wire connected to the positive side of the soleniod which terminates into a small wire going into the 'A' on the regulator, I think I just need to leave that one as is. Hopefully that will get my battery charging!
    As always, everyone is welcome to kick in their thoughts please.

Guy

Smile

I got the new ignition switch and key cylinder installed. I also went through all of my wiring using the diagram from the site below.

http://www.galaxieclub.com/images/al...conversion.jpg

I disconnected all of the wires from the starter through to the regulator and verified continuity. Also checked for shorts between wires and found none. Everything looks as it should. The only thing that does not match the above diagram is the wire 'T'ing off of the yellow from the battery side of the solenoid going to the firewall. The diagram shows two wires going to the firewalk and I only have one. But I always have had only one. The pigtall I bought new has continuity between 'A' and 'I', is that correct?

Once I get past this issue I will move on to pulling the gas tank and restoring the truck.

All input is more than welcome,
    Guy

This is sometimes where we all get lost when trying to help. Being there and reading about it is totally different.

There are really only three wires as part of the charging circuit. The fourth wire, from the regulator to the firewall, is not always needed or used. It is for the charging light. Just depends on the car and what it used as a charge indicator before. I always use a dash-mounted volt meter instead of a light or ammeter. If I'm getting above 13.5 volts, it's charging.

So if you had just the three wires (white/white-black/yellow) to the regulator; and a wire between the BAT terminal of the alternator going to the solenoid; and then wire that will "feed" to the ignition switch from the solenoid to the firewall connector; that is all you really need to get this to charge.

Here's another - straighter - image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"