Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Big Brakes Are Here

Gene and Kenny dropped by to help. We were able to get the rear calipers reassembled and put on the car. New hard lines were made. The parking brake is also finally hooked up and working thanks mostly to Gene.

The old master cylinder has been removed and the new Wilwood unit fits very well. I still need to finish some plumbing.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

The suspension has been removed from the right side. I was just starting the left side when I was called in to help with other stuff. I'll get the other side done tomorrow evening.
    Patrick Brown

Thanks to Gene dropping in this evening, the rest of the suspension is removed.

The new holes for the upper control arms have been drilled for the Shelby mod.

Now I just need to clean up some parts, do some fabrication work on the upper control arms, and put the thing back together.
    Patrick Brown

I think I need to move over to Seattle. I need a Gene, Kenny, Roger, Patrick ,ect, ect..... Maybe mine would get done??

I like Sequim. Maybe you could arrange for us all to have lucrative employment or whatever, and we could all move over there?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

How about free powder coating in exchange for services rendered???
    If I keep getting busier I am going to have to hire some help, I am getting tired!!!

I made some progress. The right side is done. I ran into some problems.

I may have destroyed one of the upper control arms when assembling them with the new roller bearings. One of the bearings started to bind when pulling them in with the bolts and I didn't notice. The welded in cups are now badly out of alignment.

I also discovered that my new Baer Tracker bump steer kit interferes with the RRS rack and pinion steer kit. I bought a set of stock outer tie rod ends for now.

And the last issue is that Wilwood send a wrong part with the brake kit. It's just the keyed washer that goes over the outer bearing but is unique to the kit so that the machined dust cap will fit. I'll have to call Wilwood on Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pbrown; April 16th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Patrick Brown

Damn those calipers look good. Who did those for you??

Just kidding that all looks great. How you can get all the little gremlins worked out.
    I should have your other parts ready today as well..

Patrick, what kit is that you used for the front of your car. I want to do disc up front on mine but not sure what to get???

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Patrick, what kit is that you used for the front of your car. I want to do disc up front on mine but not sure what to get???
    I have Wilwood part number 140-11074-D. These are 12.2" brakes for 70-73 Mustangs. The 70-73 Mustang spindles are large pin and very strong. I found my spindles on eBay but they also have new castings from Total Control Products. I went with this brake because it is the largest one that will fit in my 15" wheels. The brake kit came from Summit Racing.
    Patrick Brown

Thanks Patrick, I will check them out and see if they have one that will fit on my v-8 spindles. This is one of the big ticket items I need to put mine on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Thanks Patrick, I will check them out and see if they have one that will fit on my v-8 spindles. This is one of the big ticket items I need to put mine on the road.
    What spindles do you have? I have some 65-66 V8 Mustang spindles that you could use.
    Patrick Brown

I have a set of V-8 ones off of a 63 sprint. At least that is what I was told?..

Hey patrick, how does it ride with the upper A arm mods with the bearings on the shaft? can you tell the difference from stock, at least it will never squeek....jh

I'm still not done. I destroyed one of my upper arms and have to redo it. I'm waiting for replacements parts to come in the mail.
    Patrick Brown