Thread: C4 Transmission Cooler Lines

C4 Transmission Cooler Lines

Does anyone know which port is the outlet on the C4 transmission cooler line ports? I have been searching around with out much luck. I found one site (http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...AutoTrans.html) that says the rear is the return, can anyone verify this?

I am setting up a remote transmission cooler with a thermostat/fan and the directions call for the thermostat to be on the inlet of the cooler.
    Last edited by BPVan; December 15th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Charlie thinks you are right...

http://www.charlietranny.com/c4.htm

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

It also looks like a couple of the Mustang forums agree as well. Thanks for the info!
    Brian

I concur! Here's the write-up on my original install. It's been refined a little but the basics are the same. I did write "...the forward fitting on the tranny where the hot fluid comes out."

http://www.redfalken.com/pages/coolerlines.html

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thanks Kenny, Its good to get the right information from a reliable source.

I finished up the installation tonight except for the post ignition wire. I ended up welding in a pair of 3/4" angle iron in the void in front of the right rear wheel well. I left enough space on top for air to flow in. I painted the exposed metal with Eastwoods for now. I will eventually be fixing a couple of PO drilled holes in the floor and undercoating this area but I wasn't about to open a WIAI tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

An electric fan...fancy! I've heard so many people say the best thing you can do for your tranny and make the fluids last is to keep things cool. And filling a C4 is not cheap! $75-100 for a complete fill.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Brian... Just a couple of observations.....
    My first thought was that the fan might have been better on top of the cooler so as not to blow dirt up into the cooler. But then, I realized the cooler would then be exposed to scrapes, etc. Either way, I bet you're extending your trans life by a bunch. Looking good!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Fancy indeed, even has an inline thermostat. I had to go with a fan for airflow since I don't have space behind the grill to place it and I didn't want to block the radiator. Air flow into the doghouse is tough as it is which is why I upgraded form a mechanical fan to a Spal setup on the radiator (pics coming soon). It was a joint project all in a effort for better cooling as it has been running too warm when in traffic.

Gene I thought about that and the fan is a puller which should help. I did place it fan down for that very reason, to keep rocks from hitting it. I will be adding a small mud guard behind the front wheels to help keep the debris to a minimum.

I'll see what results I get within the next couple hundred miles. I did see a couple other early vanners put in this same setup with success, though they chose directly behind the right front wheel well but I have a slide out step there.
    Last edited by BPVan; January 2nd, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Brian