Thread: 65 Ranchero rear rock sheild

65 Ranchero rear rock sheild

My Ranchero didn't come with a rock shield on the rear. After having the car painted, I figured I'd better protect it, so I purchased this item from a supplier thinking I would see how it fits. I don't! Can anyone steer me to some detailed instruction on how this part should be installed? I already know that it is attached using staples as the item I purchased came with them. Some info with pictures would be my preferred choice, but that may not be available, I know. Help!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

If this is that rubber strip between the bumper and the rear panel below the tailgate, the best way yo do this, considering you don't have the staple gun Ford used, is to remove the bumper first. Then use black weatherstrip adhesive and attach the strip that was first by cleaning the rubber and the lip of the body and apply some on both surfaces, let it tack up and apply the strip. Now you can drill the tiny holes and apply the staples without the rubber moving around. For what it's worth mine had been installed with screws, so I installed the new shield, I installed it the same way, just used new screws.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"