Thread: Steering

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steering

While the new convertible drives straight the "slop" in the steering wheel is more than I would like. I heard that the steering box can be adjusted some? Is is difficult for a novice? If not it is something I want to deal with so can they be rebuilt? Anyone local that does that?
    I believe they can be purchased from the falcon dealers but in the $400 range.

Thanks

Hal , Look at the top of the sterring box and you will see a sloted stud with a lock nut . Lossen the nut and take a screw driver and turn the stud clockwise a little at the time and re tighten the nut . take it for a spin and if there is still to much slack do it again till you get it like you like . If the screw/stud is screwed in (real close to nut ) the the sterring box is about due a rebuild . HTH
    Take Care
    Earl

www.ranchero65.com

Tightening that screw sets the tolerance between the screw and worm gears. You can often tighten it similar to how Ranchero mentioned, but rather just until it offers some resistance and then back it off about a quarter to a half turn. The issue you'll find doing it this way is that typically most of the wear these parts will see is from when you're driving straight down the road (the steering wheel is centered 95% of the time), so by doing it this way you "may" find it gets too tight (hard to turn) once you're past center. The best way to get around this is to do the adjustment I mentioned when the steering wheel is turned about one full turn past center. If you then find the slop is just unbearable while driving straight, the screw or worm drive are shot in their centered position and a rebuild is in order.

There are two functions on a car I place equally at the top of my list of things to HAVE RIGHT: Steering and Brakes. Don't cheap out on either of these... ever. (This safety announcment brought to you courtesy of Gerber Baby Foods)

Hope that helps.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"