Thread: Looking for a machine shop (not Action)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for a machine shop (not Action)

I need to have a couple C-clip grooves cut in my steering column to fix the gap on my steering wheel. I took some measurements and dismantled the column and drove to Action. They were not interested in such a small project and turned me away.

So does anyone have an idea of another shop? Near Ballard would be my first choice.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

There used to be a shop at about 70th and 15th NW, but I don't get into Ballard much. Have no idea if it's still there.

We have a tool & die shop where I work, but I can't always get things done the moment I bring stuff in. Just depends. If one of the lathes are available I can usually do whatever I need to do... or the tool maker just does it for me real quick-like. Maybe if you can snap a shot of the job I can gage how quick the job is.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Here are a couple of photos of the upper section of steering shaft. Do you see those two grooves near where the wheel bolts on? I needs those cut exactly 1/5" closer to the end.There is a bearing that gets sandwiched between two C clips. The bearing sits in the cup of the turn signal housing and the spacing determines the gap I have at the steering wheel. I think this shaft is from a Mustang column kit. The Mustang turn signal housing is 1/5" thicker than the one on a Falcon.

It would be great if you can help me out with this. I can drop it by whenever is convenient and I'm not in a huge rush.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Patrick,

That should be a piece of cake. Mere minutes after a tool bit is cut, but we probably have one.

You really should probably scribe exactly where you want the new groove(s) though, or sketch it out, because 1/5" of an inch is an odd description. I'm assuming that to be .200" - right? We'd set up the digital read-out to move exactly how far to do it. Also be sure to dimension things as the edge of one groove to the edge of the other.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"