Thread: Water pump help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Water pump help

Hey guys, has anyone run in to water pumper pulley aliment issues with the 5.0 fuel injected motor swap?? I need to find a 5.5" reverse rotation pump for my swap. The stock 5.0 pump is 5.75" and the old standard rotation pump is 5.5" but is "standard rotation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

If you are using the 4 bolt balancer it should line up with the stock 5.0l pump. the early 28oz 3 bolt balancers use the shorter water pump. CRF racing and March make conversion pullies.

I have the CRF pulleys, my problem lies in that I am using an early timing chain cover with a dip stick in it. The early water pumps are standard rotation with a 5.5" base to flange measurement, and the later model reverse rotation pumps have a 5.75" base to flange measurement.
    I have 2 choices I think.
    1: space out the crank pulley .5" as well as the Alt. and P/S.
    2: switch back to the late model timing cover and figure out a way to get a dipstick mounted.
    The reason for the timing cover swap is the late model injected motor had a rear sump type pan with a block mount dip stick. Switching to the front sump pan rendered the block dip stick useless. I guess I could put the late model timing cover back on and go without a dipstick? I would just have to change the oil often to make sure it is full??

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    2: switch back to the late model timing cover and figure out a way to get a dipstick mounted.
    I think you'll find that the timing covers are the same thickness.

Another thought is to find a timing cover and pump and all the pulleys from a V8 Explorer. They had a super low profile which would give you pleny of room for an electric fan.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Did the explorer have a dipstick in the cover? I have plenty of room for a fan I am just in the dilemma about dipstick access??
    I found a conversion a guy did on a mustang and he drilled his late model cover for a dipstick.? I will look at mine and see if it have that same boss as his did. That would solve it all. (fingers crossed).
    Thanks for the input guys, all information is good information.

I've not seen a falcon with plenty of fan space.

The Explorer cover does not have a dipstick boss. Those engines had the dipstick in the rear sump. It could be drilled.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI