Thread: 260 dipstick tube

260 dipstick tube

This is a story about a part that I did not know existed for a problem that I did not know that I had.

A guy at a Ford show told me that my oil dipstick was supposed to be inside the generator bracket, like on this example:

63 Futura on e-bay.jpg

... and this example:

Sprint Engine Bay.jpg

My dipstick was outside of the generator bracket:

Crankcase Filter.jpg

My dipstick tube stuck straight up and it would not go inside the generator bracket without bending it. That made me realize that I did not have the correct dipstick tube. Hmmmm. That caused me to start over-thinking things and I wondered if I might be getting incorrect oil level indications if the length of the dipstick tube was longer or shorter than it was supposed to be.

A replacement dipstick for a 289 or 302 would not be the same because they used an alternator and not a generator and would be bent to a different angle.

It turns out that CJ Pony parts has a dipstick tube specifically for a 260 for $12.99 including postage. Yay! I figured "what the heck" and went ahead and ordered one.

CJ Pony Parts 260 Dipstick Tube .99.jpg

CJ also sells a replacement dipstick for a 260 that measures 24-inches. I measured my existing dipstick and it is exactly ..... 24-inches. Yay! My oil level measurements will be spot-on perfect! (If I have the correct oil pan.)

CJ Pony 260 dipstick 24 inches.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 20th, 2016 at 06:40 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    This is a story about a part that I did not know existed for a problem that I did not know that I had.

My dipstick tube stuck straight up and it would not go inside the generator bracket without bending it. That made me realize that I did not have the correct dipstick tube. Hmmmm. That caused me to start over-thinking things and I wondered if I might be getting incorrect oil level indications if the length of the dipstick tube was longer or shorter than it was supposed to be.
    My goodness, someone else who (over)thinks like me!

Cheers to you, good sir!

-Ken in SSF-
    64 Comet Caliente