Thread: brake and backup switches

brake and backup switches

Since I replaced my brake master cylinder with a power booster setup I need to install a brake switch at the pedal? Has anyone done that and if so can you give me directions on which one or what kind and how to do it. I see a couple in the Dennis Carpenter catalog.
    I also see that I need to hook up two wires in my kit to a back up switch. I don't know where that is on the car and or how to do that either. Any help would be appreciated, including pictures of the installations if possible? Thanks

We actualy have brake switch kits made up for club members. I think Kenny might know there whereabouts.

Reverse lights are usually switches at the tranny. Original cars have the switch in the column. Newer manual tranny cars should be at the tranny. Auto cars should be either at the neutral safety switch on the column or tranny or could be at the shifter depending on the shifter.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Thanks Pat. That would be great if I could get a brake switch. I have a lokar shift linkage and it has the neutral safety switch installed. According to the wiring diagram I know how to route the wire through that. But, it doesn't have anything to do with the back up lights does it??? Sorry this is really confusing to me. Larry

I think the 64-65 already have the brake light switch mounted to the brake pedal assembly. The kits we have made up are for 63 and earlier that features a ford truck switch that mounts where a rubber bumper is removed from the pedal. I'm not sure what the square bodies have in that area. Can someone with square body take a peek?
    Last edited by Jeff W; June 1st, 2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: iPod trying to read my mind

ON my old master cylinder is the brake switch. I may have to add one to the brake pedal though. Any ideas on the back up switch issue? Thanks

Heree is the switch we have:

1970 FORD F-100 3.9L 240cid L6 (A)STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTSSLS66TBrake Light Switch$ 2.25

Just remove the rubber bumper from the pedal arm and mount this guy in the newly vacant square hole with a jamb nut on each side of the arm.

I can ask Kenny to bring one to the Sunday Ford Picnic or you can pick one up during your next trip to Napa or O'Reilly's. Let us know.

Can you refresh my memory - is your transmission auto or standard?

Thanks Jeff, it's a C-4 with a Lokar floor shifter. I am not sure I can make it to the car show. My health isn't letting me get out as much as I want. I will try the parts store first. Thanks again.

I have a Lokar floor shifter too. It does not have a backup switch. You might be able to use the factory style safety/backup light switch. It's a half moon device that attaches to the left side of your C4.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I would recommend the Back-up switch that Pat suggested - You could use the both the neutral and the back-up portion of that same switch- it's integrated and mounts right over the shifting arm on the transmission.

Let me know if you want us to mail you the brake switch - we can drop it in a padded envelope.