Thread: Window Regulator Kit

Window Regulator Kit

I'm going to be putting on some new window sweeps and really need to rebuild my front window regulators. It takes almost 1/4 turn before they engage. I have new plastic window rollers to install and will get the kit shown below. Just wondering if this usually cures it or do the teeth on the gear for the arm mechanisms also get worn?

I'd rather do it for $21 per door for the kit than get a whole new assembly for $100 each. Any tips or advice appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Any I've ever seen, which have been many, were warn on that part more than the big gear.

I assume these parts also have the internal friction spring too? These also wear out or break. They keep you from being able to push on the glass and roll down the windows from the outside in addition to countering the spring that raises the window. Without the friction spring, the window rolls up on it's own.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

OH... also the small hole that accepts this part... is sort of a bushing and these wear out, which allows that small gear to move away from the big gear. More play. You may need to bush that hole in the backing plate this part mounts to. I've welded in the hole and reamed it to size. Hopefully you won't need to do this.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks Roger. Great tips! I'm hoping this will take care of it but I haven't paid much attention to them since I replaced the sweeps 8 years ago. And I only added some grease back then!

Anything has to be better than it is now. I'll do the driver's side first since it gets the most use.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Window Sweeps

I went ahead and ordered a pair of these rebuild kits yesterday. I'm taking apart the door to install some new window sweeps so now's the time to see if I can tighten things up a bit with the windows.

Some of you saw the sample I had at the meeting but I'm going to install some "modern" style window sweeps on the outside of my `62 in place of the felt whisker style that they would have had from the factory.

Below is a screenshot from the catalog. They are available from Restoration Specialties & Supply http://www.restorationspecialties.com and are really nice quality. This should help keep water out of the doors better and not be prone to rotting away like the others if the car sits outside like mine does.

I also bought some 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double stick tape to attach them and will probably put a couple of small sheet metal screws on each strip just to be safe. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com