Thread: Front Suspension & 4-Speed

Front Suspension & 4-Speed

Question #1
    I'm rebuilding a 1962 coupe that originally came with 13" wheels. Although I'm sure the car was bone stock when I got it, the the wheels (mostly the front) appear to be inset from the fender so much that the car looked VERY awkward. Far worse that all the pics I see of stock Falcons. What is the problem here? can I solve this with different spindles maybe? I would include a pic but I have since taken the car completely apart. thanks for any advise.

Question #2
    I was planning to put a T-5 behind a 170 or 200 I-6 for the car using Modern Drive-line's adapters and such. But I recently found a stock floor shift 4-speed from a 64 Falcon and am considering this instead. I really know nothing about this trans, are they any good? It probably doesn't shift like a T-5, but it would be a much easier and cheaper install. What about the gearing? Any chance this has an OD?

Thanks Again,

Kevin

Thirteens I believe we're correct. Now if those are the original 13s is the question. You can correct that issue with the correct backspace on the wheel.
    As far as question 2 if the four speed is a Dangenham unit it will not be an over drive. My choice would be the five speed.
    Hope that helps and I'm sure the gurus will be chiming in as well.

I'm putting disk breaks on the front so I will be using 14" or possible 15" wheels for the car, I haven't seen many wheels with a noticeable offset.

Hmmm....

Other than the English Dagenham which was only used behind a 6, I believe the only other 4-speeds used by Ford in that era were the Ford top-loader and the the Borg Warner T-10. These were used behind V-8's up to and including 427's (hope that's correct). Neither of those are overdrive units. I have the B-W unit in my car, and it seems to be a close-ratio unit, while I've been told the top-loader is a wider ratio unit (research would need to be done to confirm this, which I haven't done). I wish I had spent the $$ for the 5-speed. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SmithKid; August 5th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Top loaders are available in both wide and close ratio. They were indeed run behind big blocks and are capable of handling a lot of power.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Patrick, do you know if the T-10's were run behind the big blocks? Maybe the 427 Cobras or AFX Comets?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad68 View Post
    But I recently found a stock floor shift 4-speed from a 64 Falcon and am considering this instead. I really know nothing about this trans, are they any good?
    The only trans they installed that was a 4-speed on a 64 170 would be the Dagenham. Are they good? Having about 4 or 5 of them now and 2 running in both my cars (for now) they are OK for a 6'r. They were designed for the English Cortina and are weak. Would never install one without looking at every piece inside. Been there, done that.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=271

I think the only existing conversions you have available for a more modern tranny would require a post-66 with the larger bell housing.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"