Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1963 - 1965 V-8 original coil springs

1963 - 1965 V-8 original coil springs

I'm looking for a set of un-cut original stock coil springs for the front of my 1963 V-8 hardtop.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Moog 8081 if I remember correctly is another option.

I've had 50/50 luck on Dearborn springs, one car rode great, the other one rode like a tank.

I haven't bought anything since they've become Ecklers

espo spring and things is another option.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Moog 8088

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Hello, Pat and Nathan.

The specifications for these are the same as Moog 8088 springs. Those are supposed to match the stock springs for a 1963 Sprint. My car's original springs had developed a lean towards the driver's side. I put a new pair of Moog 8088's on my car and it corrected the lean .... but now the nose of the car is about two inches higher than it had been.

Rather than start guessing and cutting the new Moog springs, I wondered if I might be able to find a pair of original springs to bring the car back to level.

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 10th, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Have you considered that the rear springs have probably sagged as well? The Sprint springs should get you to the factory ride height.
    Patrick Brown

New springs take time to settle as well.

I've heard as much as 1.5" in a year.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I'm with Patrick and you should think about the rear springs. I don't think a quality spring like a Moog is going to settle much.

I have been looking into this while preparing and gathering parts for my own front end rebuild.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I'm with Patrick and you should think about the rear springs. I don't think a quality spring like a Moog is going to settle much.

I have been looking into this while preparing and gathering parts for my own front end rebuild.
    Hello, Pat.

I think that my leaf springs are good. The car was level before changing the front coils. In old photos of Falcons, their fenders cover the the tire at about the same place as mine do. If I raised the back end to match where the front now is, the whole car would be perched above its springs like a baby buggy.

Hello, Jeff.

If you google "1963 Ford Falcon coil springs" it will take you to Moog 8088 springs which are supposed to be exactly identical to the stock springs. I have seen springs listed for the Falcon that were called Raybestos and ACDelco, but their specifications were the same as the Moog 8088, so I think that they are still the same spring. It seems to be the only new spring out there.

I did find this chart that is supposed to be a description of the original springs. 1960 – 1963 Ford Falcon Spring Chart:
    http://1bad6t.com/60-63_Falcon_Coil_Springs.html

The specifications for a 1963 "Model 63" hardtop with a V-8 say:
    Normal load = 1585 lbs. Nine coils, 0.605” wire, Free Height = 14.25 inches.

The Moog 8088 specifications say:
    Bar Size 0.59 inches (15mm), End 1 Type: Square, End 2 Type: Tangential, Free Height: 14.960 inches, Inside Diameter: 3.88 inches, Install Height: 9 inches, Load: 1540 Lbs., Spring Style: Constant Rate, High

The Moog load weight is the same as original. Its free height is 3/4 higher. On paper it looks good. But, when I installed them the car sits two inches higher. I measured the present door height and found that it was 38.75”, up almost two inches from the 37” that I had measure before the spring change.

I will take the car out this weekend and drive it back and forth over some speed humps and though some road dips and then re-measure the door and bumper height and see if there is any settling. My guess is that it might settle maybe 1/4", but I would be surprised (but happy) if it would settle 1 1/2 inches.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 11th, 2014 at 02:59 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis,

Did you drive the car after installing the new front springs? Jacking the car up and putting it back down will cause the front to sit high until the car is rolled a bit to get the suspension to settle.

You can also cut 1/4 - 1/2 of a coil out of the spring to get the ride height down.
    Patrick Brown

Why were "gassers" raised on their front ends?

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Did you drive the car after installing the new front springs? Jacking the car up and putting it back down will cause the front to sit high until the car is rolled a bit to get the suspension to settle.

You can also cut 1/4 - 1/2 of a coil out of the spring to get the ride height down.
    Hello, Pat.

The car was jacked up when everything was put together. I've only driven it about 90 miles since the new parts were put in. Day after day of 40% - 80% thunderstorm forecasts have been delaying me from driving it more.

I saw a spring company called "EPSO" mentioned on the national Falcon message board and I sent them a note saying "I put a new set of Moog 8088 springs on the car and now the front end is about two-inches high. I want the car to be level."

They sent a note back saying:

"Hi Dennis, Have you changed your rear springs? If not, that's probably why your front end is 2 inches high. Your rear is probably 2 inches low if original springs. The 8088 is the lower of the 2 v8 springs. The only thing lower than that is one of the 6 cyl springs and it is probably going to be more like 2 1/2 inches under the 8088. They are $95 for the pair. the 8088 should put it at a stock height. Shipping would be 18.88
    Laura. ESPO Springs n Things, 800.903.9019 or 570.672.9413"

All indications are that the 8088 springs are correct. Maybe it is like you said "Jacking the car up and putting it back down will cause the front to sit high until the car is rolled a bit to get the suspension to settle."

I will take the car out this weekend for some barn storming. Over the next 3000 miles I will measure the height every now and then and see if it changes.

I'll take some pictures on Saturday and post some "before" and "after" photos so you guys can see what my issue with the front end height is.

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 11th, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

If you are still set against new rear springs... you may be able to remove yours and have the re-arche back to factory specs. I don't know much about that process. I think I am going to replace both front and back when I get to that point.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Before and After

Here are the before and after photos of the front end height that I had promised. I parked the car in the same spot as I had taken a picture of it a few months ago.

The front end height on the original coil springs.

My simulated wire wheel covers.jpg

The front end height on new Moog 8088 coil springs. The nose sits about two inches higher. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable (at least to me). I have driven 112 miles on the new springs.

My sj Front end height with new coil springs.jpg

Here is a reference old photo. The position of the rear fender over the tire is exactly the same as mine is presently. That is why I think that my leaf springs are OK and why I don't want to raise the back end to match the new front height.
    1963 Falcon Sports Hardtop.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 13th, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

It does seem high in the front. It is also a tad low in the rear. It looks lower at the rear in the first photo than the second.

Here are the options as I see them.

1) Cut the V8 springs by 1/4 coil at a time and install and drive until you get the stance you want. You will need an alignment after this is done.

2) Do the "Shelby Mod" to lower your upper control arm pivot by 1". This will drop the front end slightly and improve handling and is a free mod except for the required alignment.

3) Buy a set of L6 springs and try them.

You should also be replacing the rear springs if they are original. They are over 50 years old and certainly need some attention. If fact, you should probably start at the rear. Get that height where it should be and then adjust the front for a very slight nose down stance.
    Patrick Brown

On Rock Auto it seemed to call out a different part number than the 8088 on a 63 Falcon.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7512

I've just installed 8088's on my Ranchero - with 1 coil cut - to replace a pair only three years old. I installed a 65 front-end in my '63 Ranchero, so I just order '65 parts. But I found the original springs (said to be for a 65 wagon) to be very hard to install the first time (3 years ago) and had no choice to cut a coil out. When I got the 8088's a couple months ago to replace this 3 year old set (I just never got over the fact that they "had to be cut to fit in at all") I noted the 8088's were way more than 1 coil taller than the previous springs, but the wire was smaller too - so I took that into account. I still cut only 1 coil and it sits perfect.

So springs are what they are. Too tall, cut them.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"