Thread: Eight-Track Attack!

Eight-Track Attack!

So I thought I would unhijack the other thread and talk about 8-tracks!

By absolute coincident my mother-in-law sent me an old player. She loves garage sales. It is just a cube with a speaker on each side. Volume, balance, and tone sliding knobs. A handle on top. You can plug it into 110vAC or 12vDC. Also has 2 RCA plugs in back for external speakers.

I only have a Beatles tape and it sounds pretty good! I had to fix the big flywheel inside. It was sticky. Also fixed the speaker switch and cleaned the head.

I also have a Platters tape but the sponge that presses it against the head is gone. Is there a cheap fix? Also, the tape is stretched in a big loop outside the case. How can you reel it back in?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

That's pretty funky-delic. Just what everyone needs.

I'm sure Nathan can help you with that tape. As I mentioned somewhere you always had to rewind those tapes. It was a constant need. I recall it was an issue of pulling on the tape on one side and pulling it to sort of like spin it... speed it up... I don't know how to describe the process... it's hard to describe. Anyway "this" always wound up the other side and pulled the excess tape into the case. It took some finesse to get it to work. Used to be an expert at that... 30 years ago. Gawd I'm getting old...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Very cool..

the price of 8 tracks just went up..

The foam can be bought in packs and you can also buy the metal sensor tape.

I've seen both items on e-bay and try the 8 track shack as a place to buy your goods and find new tapes.. they guarntee there tapes for life..

I havent had luck rewinding 8 tracks.. I had one that my machine ate.. I took it apart and tried to fix it.. didn't work.. I could get rewound to a point and then I would get twist in it..

ask justahairfalconloopy he has an 8 track collection and may know a thing or two as well..

Nathan

ya had to go and spill the beans eh Nathan??

as for replacement parts...yup...Egay!!
    or just do what I did over the years...i would just buy 8's that i didnt want...just for parts!!!....(I'm allergic to C&W anyhow)

and ya....they'r a pain to rewind..but it is possible!

the trick is to keep the player 'demagnetized' ,,and the head clean!

as many 'trick' head cleaners as there was back in tha day...long Qtips and alchohol...still was the best way!!

my 2bits
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"

Justhair,

I had to spill the beans you have a wealth of knowledge on 8 tracks that i'm too young to know much about..
    I think I was 6 or 7 when they quit making them..

Just save all the goodies for me and pass on the C&W to Kenny

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; July 1st, 2008 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    ... pass on the C&W to Kenny

Nathan
    Yee - Frickin' - Haw!!!!

Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, anybody named Hank, George Jones, Tom T. Hall...that's my cuppa!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I wouldn't mind some Johnny Cash though..

Kenny what you have to do is buy an casette tape to 8 track adapter then buy an I pod to cassette adapter and then you can have a stereo that plays you ipod..

there is a U tube video of some kid showing you how to make your I pod work..

I've spent sometime googling 8 track..

there is a guy on e-bay selling his collection of 400o tapes and he's got some reallt rare stuff.. like Def Lepard Pyromania.. that woulda been a neat one to have..

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Kenny what you have to do is buy an casette tape to 8 track adapter then buy an I pod to cassette adapter and then you can have a stereo that plays you ipod..
    Nathan
    I'm sure the audio quality would be great too. Something along the lines of tin cans and string.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

should i start a new topic to talk about the 1939 Philco Am radio that the wife bought and we fixed up so now we have this cool old radio that only gets talk radio until they switch to digital like the tv..

Nathan

I think we should just make a Nathan289 only forum where you can post anything you like just so you can pass me up in the ratings!

(Nathan )
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"