Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drag Racing

Drag Racing

While Carol and I were in Tucson last week celebrating our 50th anniversary and soaking up some sun. We went to the drag races in Tucson where they had the inaugural "Hot Rod Weekend".

Hot Rod magazine has done this back east all the time, but this was the first time out west.

They raced in Tucson on Thursday, then have to drive what they race to Phoenix for the 2nd race on Friday and then drive to Fontana for the 3rd race on Saturday.

These cars are everything from and old Buick that ran 16.50 @ 85MPH to the 57 Chevy owned by Jeff Lutz (see his car on Street Outlaws) that ran the the low 5's at 237MPH.

The cars have to be street legal and they have to drive them.

My brother Jerry raced his 64 Fairlane but didn't find out about the event to be ready to travel. But, next year he and I both are going to enter this event.

That means there are some things I have to do to get ready. First and foremost, I have to get some lower gears and probably switch to a 9". Get some wheels and slicks and install my driveshaft loop.

Not a lot of other major things to do, but it was so much fun I can't wait. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

That sounds like a blast Larry!
    That would be a heck of a drive.
    Glad to see you're keeping your falcon for a while...
    What rear end do you have now? 8"?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Drag Racing

It has an 8" now. I am not sure what gears it has, will need to climb underneath and look at the tag. Will be looking for some lower gears. 4:56 or 4:11 probably. If possible maybe I can find a housing that fits with disc brakes. Don't really want to change the width. Might as well dream for the best.

If you get a chance go online and search for the Hot Rod Drag Weekend (Tucson, Phoenix to Fontana. There are some good videos and pictures. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Speed Demon Larry

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    These cars are everything from and old Buick that ran 16.50 @ 85MPH
    That would be my style.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Drag Racing

If I remember correctly, Pat you put in a 9" from Currie? I would like any and all info about which 9" to buy or out of what car to get a 9" that will fit.
    Input on which gears for the rear end to use for strip/street would also be appreciated from those who have raced. I was leaning towards 4:11, but 4:56 keeps cropping up in the internet write ups.
    In looking at which tires to go with there is equal data on slicks versus drag radials. Any ideas there would also be nice.

Lastly, hopefully everyone will say a prayer for the people of France after this horrible attack. God please give them peace and direction that only you can bring. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Drag Racing

Not too many answers to questions but here is one more chance for someone to chime in. I have 14" wheels now, and have made up my mind to go with the 4:11 gears. So, if there is room, would I be better off to go with 15" wheels and slicks on the back or stay with 14's. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry - I'm not a racer, so not gonna have much to offer. The only thing I can offer is that the wheel isn't all that important, except as it has to do with what size tires you may have available to you. You may have more options with a 15" wheel. You'll find the exact same OD and Width on both 14 and 15 wheels, though 15" wheels may allow larger tires than you can get as a 14"and vice verse. I think you'll have to be more concerned with how much tire you can get under the wheel-wells combined with wheel offset.

Here's a cool tire/wheel comparison tool:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I think Merc Marquis or similar had rear discs. Whether they are the right width, or will need shortening or leaf pads added, I'm not sure.

Sorry couldn't help more.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Wayne Kauk races his 64....
    He races mostly vintage drags like Mission and Bremerton.
    He lives in Everett
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Drag Racing

Thanks for the help Roger and Bill. I would love to talk to Wayne about the racing. I was talking to the tech at Bremerton to see what I needed to do in getting ready to race there next year. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Drag Racing

Moved my Falcon out to the new garage. Have the new 9" housing, axles and bearings on order. Can't afford to get the third member yet. Too close to Christmas to spend that much. When I get the new housing I will pull the old one. Install the new, install the driveshaft loop that I have, and install the line lock system.
    The third member is a Strange rear end with 4:11 gears, traction lock and 31 splines.
    Then will need some steel wheels and slicks. I think I will stick with 14 wheels but still not positive about that yet.
    I intend to take a whole lot of pictures of the rear end swap, loop install and line lock. May use them for upcoming newsletters. That is if I can figure out how to do a newsletter. It is hard being an old fart.
    Also, now I can get my truck back in the house garage and not freeze my bottom off everyday. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Drag Racing

After reading the post about brake fluids I realized we have some folks on here that can figure this out for me. Can some one tell me what the tachometer readings would be at 70 mph in my falcon with my Tremec T5Z transmission that has a ratio of .68 in fifth gear with 4:11 rear end gears and 4:56 gears?
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

No problem Larry...but I also need to know your tire size.

But if my calculations are correct, with 295/50R 15 tires at 70 mph, a 4.11 rear end, a .68 transmission gear ratio at 69.72 mph, your tach is at 2456 rpm.

Hummm...now where do those 4:56 gears fit in...sorry I didn't include that in the estimation.
    Ok, I'm not really that smart, but I'm a gooder googler. Check out this calculator: http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dhbfaster; December 11th, 2015 at 09:54 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Drag Racing

I am definitely not smart. I couldn't figure out how to work the charts. Anyway, I perused a whole lot of different forums about the wisest rear gears and there are bunches of answers.
    I found one with a guy who has a 64 Falcon with stroked 302 T5 tranny and 4:11 gears. He turns 2300 RPM at 70 which is fine with me. He had 15 inch tires, 28" tall so my 14's would turn a little higher than that. I am pretty much settled on 4:11 by now.
    I was looking at a mustang forum and just about puked. Guy wants different gears but was worried that the extra RPM's might make it hard to hear on his cell phone?????? What the heck???? Probably wouldn't want low gears and spill his coffee???
    Times have definitely changed, and what the heck, I am 68 years old and still want to get the front wheels off the road.
    Maybe buy a , oh well, never mind. I am getting politically incorrect again. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Hey...what that guy said is pretty close to what the calculator said!
    That calculator was pretty quirky, but give me your total tire size numbers and I'll put it in and we should have the correct calculation.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Drag Racing

My tires are P235 60R 14.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker