Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

I put my gaskets on the underside of the pivot (inside the car) before pushing it through the cowl hole, then the chrome cover and the nut.

I remember the nut was very soft metal and easy to distort with a wrench. Don't over-tighten. Not holding much anyway.

I think I also put a tiny bit of the 3M rope calk under the chrome bezel... my thought was to save and cushion the paint.

Two man job or use a shoelace to pull pivot up through the hole and get that nut and bezel on.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Here are the license lights I had. Looking at FalconParts.com this is what they say it is:

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...IES-95p303.htm

I think if you take these two I have and combine them, it's pretty close.

Yours if you want to try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks Roger! I already have the light...and it's nicely restored now. I just need the bracket that holds the light and the license plate. If you can bring it when we finally get to putting the engine in that would be great.

Jeff...that's what I did. Thanks for the confirmation. Getting that all oriented inside the car...tweeted my neck a bit!
    Last edited by dhbfaster; July 31st, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Well...only one thing I got done today...I was going through my parts bins...and finally ran into a nicely powder coated battery tray bracket.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Roger...just want to let you know, I got the fuel sending unit installed...your trick to put a little adhesive on the gasket to hold it in place did it for me. That was all the difference in the world... Thanks as always.

Other than that...after searching for new nuts and painting some old but good bolts...the battery tray is now nicely installed.

Unfortunately (from a falcon work standpoint) the rest of the weekend was mostly spent with visiting relatives, and on a leaky sink drain and my wife's "prep for wet season" list for the house that took one trip to Ace and one trip to Home Depot...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don,

I know we all probably wish there was nothing but Falcon-time when we get into a project. But as much as we try... other parts of life just keep getting in the way. What are yo gonna do? You gotta make money and you gotta pay attention to the family. But at the same time you'd think they would understand the importance!

I'll bring the light bits I have when we get to that point and hopefully you can use it. Glad the sender is in and sealed up!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Granddads falcon will have to wait yet another weekend...I was asked if I want to go on an all expense paid salmon fishing trip with our biggest customer and a few other guests. They fly us in their turbo prop float plane from Vancouver up to their lodge on Stuart island, BC. My boss went on the trip once and said all you have to do is fish (with a guide) and eat. He said the scenery was incredible and bald eagles were everywhere. Well, somebody has to do go...the falcon will understand.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, have you noticed the resemblance between you & I? Maybe I could go in your place to allow you to stay home and work on the Falcon?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Gene, I think that's a great idea!
    Since your offer, I have been going back and forth with my wife over the idea, but ultimately (as usual) she won out because she said the fishing license is already in my name, and she said I'd be crazy to be responsible for you potentially going to jail. I think the odds are low, but I suppose she's right. After all, you are a bit better looking than me. Anyway, maybe if I get enough fish, I can send you some...?

Hope all is well Gene. I'll get the falcon to the next stage eventually...
    Next weekend...not sure what's going on yet, but the one after that...I go to China for a week. Oh well, at least the foot massages are good.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

My first Salmon...worth the weekend off...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Has anyone tried using DOT 5 brake fluid instead of DOT 3?
    I bought some lines from inline tube (new engine lines, fuel line, and only the rear axle brake line), and they say I can switch to DOT 5. DOT 3 is fine, but DOT 5 silicone fluid repels moisture and will not harm paint, and because it repels moisture it will last longer with out any need to change it. It does say that in extreme conditions (i.e. drag racing...don't think I'll be doing that with my 144..) DOT 3 is better, but strangely enough DOT 5 has a higher boiling point...also, it supposedly doesn't leak as much. Anyway, just wondered if anyone has tried it. Everything will be new so I won't have to worry about mixing. If I'm going to go DOT 5 now's the time.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

My brother has used the synthetic fluid for many years in his Corvettes. He loves it. Now is your opportunity to go synthetic since everything is new without DOT 3 residue... I don't see a downside.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Roger and Gene...time for me to get the motor back in. except for this weekend and Halloween weekend, my weekends are looking pretty open. If you guys are still able and willing it would be great if we could schedule a morning to do it.

Looking forward to getting back at it!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I can't this weekend either, but the next weekend will probably be OK for me. We'll see what Gene's up to.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"