Thread: 1963 Front Coil Springs

1963 Front Coil Springs

Getting ready to buy parts for the front end and going to buy new coil springs but when I tore the old parts out I noticed a round metal disc cup like item that went on top of the coil spring and hooks to shock tower my question is how do I install this item when installing new springs

There is a metal "disc-like" thing that was supposed to be spot-welded to the upper part of the shock tower, but I've never seen it come out. There was then applied to the top of the coil spring a rubber bushing to insulate the spring from the upper tower (this disc-like thing) - and that should be replaced too. Do the lower spring perches as well. They are inexpensive (thank you Mustang for using the same one) and are a wear part - and also the leading cause of the "Ford Squeak". These are also available with true roller bearing pivot instead of the rubber interface pivot - for a slight premium. I think Patrick has these in his Falcon and recommends them.

Can you take a photo?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Front Coil Springs

Here are the round items that was on top of the old springs when I took them out. Was wondering how to keep those in place while putting in new Coil Springs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Coil Spring

Another picture of Coil Spring top piece

coil spring upper insulator

Quote Originally Posted by Layla1973 View Post
    Another picture of Coil Spring top piece
    My GUESS would be, is that the new style insulators do not contain the "tin".
    The new insulator lip should nest in the top of the coil spring.
    Dave M
    1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible 170ci auto.
    Arlington Wa

Those metal pieces I have never seen "removed" before. They were perhaps removable as you are seeing, but I did a lot of cutting, pounding, and grinding, on my shock towers and they stayed in place the entire time. I don't think they are reproduced either. Perhaps they were glued in as I see evidence of something in the photos you've taken. You would not want it resting metal-to-metal to the top of the tower (i'd think) unless it was welded in our glued into place.

I looked around and found this article about changing over to coil-over springs, but it does have a shot of these parts (image 8) being removed by drilling out the spot-welds.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...nt_suspension/

They are using a different year Mustang than our Falcon (Mustangs were similar to 60-65 Falcons in the 64-66 years), so I'm not 100% sure what the holding-in process is, but they were held in and are required for reassembly.

The insulator images show by Vikingblu are upside and downside of the same part (smooth on one side and stepped on the other) These sit on top of the spring and nest into these metal parts you show so as to "capture" them so they don't move around.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 23rd, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"