Thread: Got my 'Bird out of the wet... FINALLY!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Got my 'Bird out of the wet... FINALLY!

Well, after being forced to leave the Falcon out in the wet and snow of last winter, I endeavored to make sure it wouldn't this winter.
    The so-called "garage" thats here at this place I rent isn't big enough for the 'Bird and the doors on the end are completely non operable anyway, so I had to go a different route. A carport ! It wasn't finished at the time of these pics, but I've now got the ends done as I plan to use tarps {or something similar} to enclose the ends and side, while still leaving it able to breathe {and not blow away, lol.}. I can even open my hood all the way if I want ! What a novel thing, lol. I just need to add the 2x4's and the flashing along the long side edge and it'll be all done except for the tarps. Jon

Here's what it looked like when I wrapped it up for the day 2 weeks ago.

Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

Lookin' good!

I wish mine didn't have to sit out in the elements all year. I'm working on creating some shop space in the basement to clear out the basement garage and MAYBE be able to pull the Falcon inside every once in awhile...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Lookin Good

Looks good Jon

Look out for the wind.......
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Good job, Jon. I have a problem, too. Even though the Falcon is in the garage, my wife won't even consider leaving her car out so I can get my truck in. I've asked and asked. She won't change her mind. Also, she won't even consider a second job so I can have more of the things I "need"!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

You might want to triangulate those vertical poles.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Good job, Jon. I have a problem, too. Even though the Falcon is in the garage, my wife won't even consider leaving her car out so I can get my truck in. I've asked and asked. She won't change her mind. Also, she won't even consider a second job so I can have more of the things I "need"!
    How inconsiderate! I guess we know who wears the pants in that family, don't we.

That's a good idea there Jon. I planned to do something similar this summer, just never got a round tuit.

I know we're not seeing the finished thing yet, but if I may, I would highly recommend doubling up the 2x4's on the top plate -- especially with what looks to be close to 8' span on the posts. Snow load here in the NW is far more than in most places due to how wet our snow is. 2x4's laying flat like that will bow a lot and possibly break. They almost appear to be bowing now. At the very least I would add some 45 degree gussets from the posts towards the center of the span in the top plate between posts to help carry the load. That will also stiffen things up a lot for lateral movement. Would dread the "Oh m'gawd!!" post if something happened and I hadn't taken the risk to put my foot in my mouth like this. Better safe than PC.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"