Thread: Lets get started

Senior citizen Guest

Lets get started

I am new here and decided that I might as well wade on in. I have built several cars over the years including a 56 Chevy and a 40 Ford from the frame up. I backed away from the hobby several years ago when things got a little to high tech and expensive for a DIY working person. Last year I found a 64 Ranchero like the one I bought new in 64 (kind of tells you I am no kid anymore). My Falcon is a nice 20 or 30 footer with no major rust or damage, but it is time to start the revamp. I have had a lot of cars and never have been a restorer type , so will go with some minor modifications in several phases. I want to lower it 2 or 3 inches and convert it to 5 lug in the process. I like the way it rides and handles now (My regular ride is a Jeep TJ so anything is an improvement) and mainly want to improve the brakes and stance. What do you guys think of Fatman 2 inch dropped spindles, with the Wilwood brake option for the front? Is this the hot set up or would some Granada discs with cut coils get the job done. I have had several low riders and a little bounce doesn’t bother me much. I am wondering if anyone has an 8 inch rear or would converting to an 8.8 with discs be a better choice (which model would have the right width?). I have a nice shop with all the equipment to do a ground up rebuild (although talent is sometimes a little suspect). I plan on staying with the 200 six and three speed for now, as this is to be a long term project were I can enjoy the journey.

Let me know what you think. I am looking forward to meeting many of you and being an active member of the group.

Dan Parris
    64 Ranchero - 200 inch 6cyl.- three speed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice ride! I really like the flat black roof. It really looks good. Welcome to the group.

Why...it just so happens I have some photos on my website that shows the installation of an 8" rearend. The URL is http://www.redfalken.com/pages/rearend.html

I'm not sure if it works for a square body though. I don't know if the wheelbase and rear suspension is the same as the `60-`63 style. Have you been to www.fordsix.com yet? If you're keeping your six (good choice in my opinion), Ford Six has a great forum with lots of information. And friendly folks...like here!

Hope to see you around. I need to get to planning a meeting/gathering/cruise or something soon so maybe you can join us?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Senior citizen Guest
    I have checked out the Ford six site and it does inspire a guy to do something a little different. I am afraid the top is an original vinyl with a few rust bubbles. I am planning on striping the body and repainting during the rebuild. Maybe this year, maybe next. I am torn betweend taking the car down and enjoying the rebuild and the fun of driving it everyday. I am looking forward to a gathering of the group.

Dan
    Last edited by Senior citizen; August 24th, 2007 at 08:16 PM.

Welcome Dan. I'm no expert in all you said you wanted to do, but as you can see from my posts... I can handle my own well enough. The Falcon front end shares many of the same shortcomings of the Mustang, so just about any fix you can buy for the 64-66 Mustang should be able to be applied here. I know Thor, who also has a 6 cyl. did the Granada front end and "I think" he also moved the upper control arm as per the Shelby "fix" (there's a template floating around that lets you drill new holes). I can't recall all it was supposed to improve, but it's apparently worth it. I still have the 4-lug (now with the Scarebird disc brakes) and I lowered it by removing one coil and it helped a LOT. Still isn't what I consider a well handling car, but it is a wagon and those are just like yours. I think doing something simple like what I did and maybe adding a Flaming River steering box would help tighten it up a bit. So many options. Anyway, welcome and looking forward to watching the progress. Keep up posted with pics when you can.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"