Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hello folks, I am the newest member of this forum and I thought I should introduce myself and provide a little bit of background on myself. I recently acquired a 1966 ford Falcon 2 door sedan with base level of equipment. I got the Falcon from Barnfind Classics in Mount Vernon. The car has a strong base, the floor pans have been replaced, it has a new windshield and for the most part just needs TLC. This car has the 200 CID 6 and 3 speed on the column standard transmission. My intentions on this Falcon is to keep it ORIGINAL and to only do modifications to improve safety of the car.

For for a bit history on myself, I work at a major aerospace company in Everett, Washington doing the interiors on aircraft and I have for the last 27 years. Before and during my time at work I was in the U.S. Air Force active duty for 12 years and then another 13 in the Air force Reserve. I originally trained in the Air Force as a vehicle mechanic and then retrained into aircraft after the first 3 years during my Air Force time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1966 Falcon

Hello, Michael.

Welcome, aboard! That's a sharp little car. I like the two-tone paint job and the original hubcaps.

Dennis.

2-UAW Pride.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Nice Falcon Mike! Welcome to the group. It's good to see the post-`65 birds getting some TLC. There's another guy, Curt, who works at Boeing and has a REALLY nice (and about as stock as you can get) `67. We caravaned to the Nationals one year and I see him at shows occasionally. He may have some good parts source connections if you ever need them.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I also work at Boeing. I kind of avoid mention to them. I have the hubcaps off to clean them, someone used brush paint on the wheels and left the hubcaps on the Falcon. I got all the paint off and now I am using a paint stick to restore the areas that were black after 48 and half years the black was missing in most areas. After I finish I goint to shot them with clear.
    1966 Ford Falcon 2 Door Base with Straight 6 and 3 on Tree

Does Anyone Know Where Sedro-Woolley is?

Looks like a great start for you. Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see another of the forgotten Falcons. Hope to see you at an event soon.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Looks like a great start for you. Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see another of the forgotten Falcons. Hope to see you at an event soon.
    I like it, I am going after the simple issues right now. Since I am off until Monday, I made a run down to the parts store and got a 14" positive battery cable (car had a 36" negative cable on the positive side), J-bolts for the battery hold down, 2 front universal seat belts.

I do have a issue with the carb, someone decided to hook up a manual choke to and now the choke is stuck open the cable is absolutely use less also the car tends to lean out and hesitates when ever I put a load on the engine as in start up from a stop. I goose the throttle a bit and slip the clutch and she finally takes off. I am going to drive the car much until I get the carb issues fixed as I do not want to burn out the clutch.

Hi Mikeske!
    Welcome to the forum. Nice looking falcon!...I'm not the most mechanical one in the group by any means, but my carb acted the same way when I first got my car- I thought the choke was broken, BUT, after some carb cleaner AND driving it with fresh gas for a few miles, the problem miraculously went away.

Good luck!

Jeff.....where are you? Do your thing on the brakes....
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post

Jeff.....where are you? Do your thing on the brakes....
    Surely anyone so well versed in aircraft maintenance, repair and redundant systems would have "conversion to dual master cylinder" toward the top of the list. I didn't think I would need to mention it...

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Surely anyone so well versed in aircraft maintenance, repair and redundant systems would have "conversion to dual master cylinder" toward the top of the list. I didn't think I would need to mention it...
    I will be doing the conversion to dual master cylinder and possibly disc front rear drums and converting possibly to 14 inch wheels and tires. Just going to take time and resources. I first off have to get the car running properly first and then I will be the rest as the dollars needed will be later.

I am also hunting for a Autolite single barrel hot air carb. The issues are standard auto part places want from $220.00 to the sky for a rebuilt carb.

Welcome Michael, Great to see your car and know about the issues. This is the right place to find any and all the help you need. I certainly am not a guru but there are several that know just about everything about a Falcon.

I retired from Boeing after 40 years and hope all is well at the company. All my grandsons and friends tell me I would not be able to handle it now. Probably right. Dinosaurs aren't welcome. Hope to see you and the car soon at a get together or show.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Welcome Michael, Great to see your car and know about the issues. This is the right place to find any and all the help you need. I certainly am not a guru but there are several that know just about everything about a Falcon.

I retired from Boeing after 40 years and hope all is well at the company. All my grandsons and friends tell me I would not be able to handle it now. Probably right. Dinosaurs aren't welcome. Hope to see you and the car soon at a get together or show.
    Boeing is Boeing. I am one of the dinosaurs there (Michaelsarus rex) I have already decided that I will be retiring in early mid 2017.

I finally decided to just reject the carb on the Falcon. Who ever decided to drill thought the center of the hot air choke should have there head examined and have someone tell them they are nuts. I found a carb on line from Tomco, the only vendor I found. I have ordered a rebuilt and it should be in sometime in the next week or so (I HOPE)

The list of things needed for this car just keeps growing as I found things.

1. Carb (on order)
    2. Correct battery hold down (temporarily using a piece of plastic dipped angle iron
    3 spare 13" wheel
    4 original bumper jack with base
    5 J-bolt and wing nut for spare tire
    6 glove box inside.
    7 flasher switch
    8 heater blower
    9 heater resister
    10 all the grommets for the firewall
    11 reseal the back window
    12 front and rear bumpers
    13 more money
    14 body work patching small places of rust, repairing dents and repaint
    15 trunk and door seals
    16 window seals
    17 more time
    18 4 shocks
    19 complete front end rebuild
    20 Clutch and brake pedal rubber pads (on order)
    21 Owners guide (on order)
    22 shop manual
    23 Brake system upgrade

The basis of this car is in excellent condition for its age and I realize it. The engine has excellent compression and no cylinders are more the 4% away from any other. I did do a compression test and reset the dwell on the points as they were off slightly. I am excited with what I bought and I think that giving this car some time (alot of time) to get it into shape is going to be fun. This list is in no particular order just the stuff I do need to do the Falcon
    Last edited by Mikeske; January 4th, 2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added brake system upgrade

Mike..... Welcome! Your car and you are lucky to have found each other. Let me underscore the previously stated praise for this group. They are a VERY helpful bunch. I have been the recipient of much of their knowledge and assistance. Hope to meet you and your car soon.

Yes, there are those of us that know where Sedro-Woolley is.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I have been going thru my shop looking for the stone age obsolete tools (dwell meter, multi meter and timing light) that I used years ago. I have found my dwell meter and it still works. I have been also looking for my timing light that I bought in 1979 from Sears. I can not remember where I put the ting as I have not needed it since 1994. I have 2 garages and both are a mess.

Here is a picture of the garages and house I live in. The search continues when I am doing something else and I will find the timing light or go to swap meets when I get the time to find parts and a timing light

Welcome to the Forum, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeske View Post
    I will be doing the conversion to dual master cylinder and possibly disc front rear drums and converting possibly to 14 inch wheels and tires.
    I did the 4-lug disc brake conversion (well, Roger did most of it...) several years ago. I used a Scarebird kit.
    https://scarebird.com/.
    Definitely had to convert to 14-inch wheels....

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    There's another guy, Curt, who works at Boeing and has a REALLY nice (and about as stock as you can get) `67.
    I, three, am an old-timer at Boeing. In fact, my desk is about twenty steps away from Curt's! He hasn't been participating in the Forum much. He's focused on restoring a Galaxie convertible these days. I keep telling him about the Club meetings, though.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4