Thread: Dagenham 4 speed question

Dagenham 4 speed question

Do people usually swap out dagenham 4 speeds out for something more easy to find? I've been trying to find a seal kit for mine and am having a hard time finding any parts or info on it. It shifts fine but it leaks real bad.

Check out my previous post on "find a transmission shop" for Dagenham leakage suggestions.

The main issue changing out the early 6 to something like a T5, which is the most common transmission swap, it lack of bell housing adaptation. Late-model 6's (1966 and newer) have more options than pre-66 sixes for the bell housing you can use. The early bells are so small they only allowed that puny 8.5" clutch, which I think is the cause of most clutch chatter issues.

My wagon, which has the Dagenham 4-speed and 8.5" clutch has has 3 different transmissions, at least 5 different clutch pairings, all new mounts, different rear-end ratios. It has chattered since the day I bought it over 20 years ago. I just think it needs more clutch surface. It's very drivable, but has annoyed me all along. Maybe the new owner will update the drive-train.

The Dagenham is a very weak transmission and has, from the number of them I have taken apart, known failure points. Parts are very hard to find and if they show up, they are very expensive. People try to sell a complete transmission, saying "ran good when last driven" for near to $600 and sometimes more, but I will not pay more than $100 for one knowing what I know now about them.

Over the years I have purchased quite a few of them and the one in the wagon now is the best one built from all of the parts I had, but I have another one still together that was the first on of this type I bought and built for the wagon. I re-engineered the input shaft to main shaft bearing from needle to roller bearings to get it in. Was still driving fine when I pulled it, but had the other (pulled from the Ranchero when it went V8), so it went in its place and I was planning to take the first one apart someday to see how well my McGyvering held up over the 10 years it was in there.

Here's a little part of the thread I did back then. Follow a couple post down from there for more on this transmission:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=271
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 7th, 2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"