Thread: Toploader shifting issues...

Toploader shifting issues...

I have an early toploader in my 68 Futura and I have been having grave difficulties with it lately. There seems to be excessive space in and around reverse. Regularly, coming out of reverse into any other gear will be next to impossible. On top of this, it appears to be holding very poorly in 1st and 2nd also. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

I should probably mention that it is attached to a hurst 4spd. I think it may be an issue in the linkage. Any feedback for troubleshooting my issues?

I had similar problems with my B-W T-10. It was all cured with a large application of $$$ to rebuild and replace several gears in the box. I also use a Hurst shifter (Comp+), and it seems to be a fine unit. Make certain that your shifter is in adjustment (easily done with a 1/4" pin or drill bit). I hope your repair is easier, less costly than mine was.

A side note: I would seriously consider a conversion to a T-5 if I had to do it over again. Mine was a conversion from a 3-spd, and I could have added just a few hundred more and ended up with a 5-spd.

Good luck, Gene
    Last edited by SmithKid; July 25th, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I havent had an opportunity to look into the shifter adjustment outside of in-between heats at the track. It almost looks as though it may be missing a shim or something along those lines. Tranny's are one of only a couple areas of the car that I dont like to dive into on my own. There is much to much going on in those little bugggers.

The car was originally a 3 on the tree car, then a c4, then for whatever reason back in the mid nineties ended up with the current configuration of a 4spd ford toploader with a hurst shifter. I love the feel and dependability, but the sloppy pop outs of 2nd are getting annoying, expecially on the 1/8th mile.

I should get a chance to dive into the shifter adjustment this week. Any other input between now and then would be great. Thanks,