Thread: Battling with Starter

Battling with Starter

I have a 1966 200 6cyl 3 speed car. Have recently purchased a Clifford header and 38mm down draft carb. The bell housing has 2 bolt holes for the starter. The standard starter will not clear the header, therefore I am wanting to know if anyone has this header on their
    vehicle and if so which starter did they use. Clifford Header said that I am using the wrong starter but is unable to tell me which starter to use. The part # for the stock starter is #3135, I need a mini starter with the same nose cone as the 3135 can anyone help?

Hi and welcome. Since I'm hoping to do headers on my 200 in the near future I wanted to find an answer so I went to the Ford Six Forum http://fordsix.com/forum/ and did a search for "mini starter". There was quite a bit of talk about it but not any one particular part number listed. Lots of talk about an "FE" starter.

If you visit that forum and can figure it out, let me know.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I think the starter you need is from an early 60-61ish Falcon. I've heard that the earlier starters were smaller and work well with headers on the 200. Take your old starter to Schucks and compare it to a 60 model year.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI