Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagon build

Very nice Jeff; I am jealous. Can't wait to see if mine looks as good. It reminds me of how much work I still have ahead of me???

Roger's request to post more fabrication pictures.

After several months of disappointing Pull-A-part searching, I bought the Jaguar Gas Cap on Ebay for about $22 with shipping.

The "Cup" assembly was also bought off of an Ebay vendor but not from an auction. I searched around for a vendor selling a cap where the photos were taken with the cap still mounted on a car (junk yard obviously). Just emailed the seller asking if they would be willing to cut the well from the fender and how much. It was $40 including shipping. I asked for about a 1" lip of the old fender.

Kenny and I did two things to this "cup assembly" before cutting the fender to weld.
    1) The cup assembly is basically a "turned up" well that is spot welded to the "turned down" lip of the fender. Some careful grinding separated the spot welds that held the two together. We just used the inner cup portion.

2) Moved the drain nipple. As you can imagine, this thing would fill up with rain water. The old mounting position on the Jaguar was level, now that it is slightly slanted, the old drain nipple had to be moved to the lowest point of the well. Cut off and fill the old hole, weld nipple in new position, drill hole through the middle. I'll just stick a length of rubber hose to exit the the water.

Here are the only other pictures I took other than the items in the other post.

I have not connected the new filler to the tank yet. The Jaguar cap is 2-1/2" hose - I'll get a length then bring it to a muffler shop and have them bend the gentle "S" to make the connection. Let you know how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jeff-

I bought one of these too, but can try to see if one of the dealers on ebay will hack out that piece. My guess is I'll end up fab'ing my own. And with my driveways being so steep, the original spot for the drain may be best all the way in the back for 90% of it's life.

Did you get a key with yours?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes, my cap came with a working key. You don't need to have the key to open and close, just to lock when it is already in the closed position.

If I was going to fab my own, I would make it slightly deeper that the original. You are welcome to come over after work and check it out in person. I wish Pull-A-Part had an online list of cars on the lot - you could just keep checking until one appears in the inventory. I can't imagine there is a big demand for this well.

Is this for your Ranchero or are you cutting into the wagon?
    Last edited by Jeff W; February 1st, 2011 at 07:46 PM.

It would be for the Ranchero. This will be driven more than my wagon - and I hate filling up the wagon... but rarely do. I'm going to be hacking and welding - so may as well improve this area... while I'm at it. Ahh! There's those words again!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Remember; Ford owned Jaguar from 1989 - 2008 so you are installing an OEM part there.

OH, there was a little nipple on the neck of the Jaguar Cap... probably for some kind of Emissions Canister. I used a torch to heat and pull it right out. Used epoxy and a perfectly sized solid rivet to drive in the hole.
    Last edited by Jeff W; February 1st, 2011 at 09:32 PM.

Good point! I feel so much better now.

I saw that nipple in one of the many pictures of this I looked at.

Also, the one I got was $24 on a BIN auction, so not much different than what you paid.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Modifications already?? You are nuts.
    Jeff I will have your parts at the house so they will make it back this time. Can't wait to see your wagon in person. Looks great..

It's already all done... in my head. You gotta see it done there first and everything else in between are the things that drive a person nuts.

Jeff, we'll be sure to keep your parts separate from all the other parts.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"