Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummer - I don't have a low mileage engine in my wagon

Bummer - I don't have a low mileage engine in my wagon

As I have always thought, based upon the overall condition of my wagon, it must really only have the 45,000 miles on it the odometer reads. Well, to my chagrin I'm pretty sure now it might have turned over.

I had over the past few months pulled a bunch of parts off of it to test and then ultimately transfer onto Gina's car and was putting it back together so I could better test a few of these carburetors I'm building (and should have recently tested before sending off). So as I was installing the DuraSpark distributor I pulled from the Ranchero motor (was gonna do this anyway) I realized I could turn the crank almost 8 degrees forth and back without moving the cam at all, which was making it hard to engage the oil pump shaft.

So what was to be a reassembly has turned into a disassembly. Gene and I pulled the motor last night and after some inspection I found the timing chain was very close to jumping ship. I don't think that can happen in 45,000 miles.

The plan is that I'll be pulling the $600-800 worth of bits I'd put into the Ranchero motor (crank, bearings, timing chain, oil pump, ignition, Weber carburetor (eventually) and the far-better 4-speed) into the wagon.

For those unaware, ever since I've owned the wagon it has had a teeth chattering clutch chatter that I have tried everything to try make go away. It's had two different transmissions, 3 clutches, 3 drivelines and u-joints in all three, rebuilt transmission mount assembly, new motor mounts, different rear-end. None of these have ever changed this chatter. Maybe this will help!

Of course there will be some while I'm at it things, there always are, but I have to stay on budget (as in spend little to no money) for this one. Found a full set of Felpro gaskets for $30 on ebay. So that's hopefully all I'll need - fingers crossed.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Well the good news is any of those "while I'm at it" things that need powder coated will not cost you anything. Just need to get them over here.
    My way of returning all the help you've given me with the delivery over the last five years.
    Maybe I can make a trip over to help you instead!!! I could bring the parts back? We'll see how your progress goes. Keep us posted cause I think my thread us almost done.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Steve, if your thread is "almost" done, you'll have to start another. As I've found out, the projects don't ever go away just because it's on the road!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

True. There are still a lot of "little" thing to do. As I am sure Roger has a lot of little things to do.

Like how I tied that back into the original post. Sorry Roger for the partial hijack.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Actually that is great news... I wasn’t sure these things would go 145,000 without the terrible blow-by, leaks, knocks and general crankyness.

I would celebrate and say "Nice Work Mr. McNamara!".

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

50 years later .....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I would celebrate and say "Nice Work Mr. McNamara!".
    The Ford engineers would have gotten a kick out of Roger having to rebuild his engine ..... in 2014!

1-why drive any faster.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Oh yeah - they'd have loved that, but I suspect they're probably not around any more.

Yep, Steve, Making a pile. Maybe I can do this on a Friday and just come to the shop and do it all and bring it back the same day?

Jeff - take care of it and it'll last a long, long time. Newer oils too... help.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

As long as the pile gets here early we can always stay late. Depends on the size of said pile.
    We need to check our red so I can make sure I have it in stock. Is it the same as your parking meter?
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

It'll be similar to that red, Steve. Ford Red engine enamel is what I used before. This will be for the air cleaner and valve cover, so as long as they are the same color - what color red isn't as important... unless if leans toward pink!

Most everything will be satin (low gloss) black, the red as above, or something close to silver/aluminum as possible. I have a couple bigger parts (the oil pan) I'll need to sandblast there, but will try to have it all blasted and ready if I can. It's not a huge pile by any means.

And I really do appreciate all of this more than you know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"