Thread: Speedometer cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Speedometer cable

I worked on the ranchero over the weekend and got the new rear leaf shackles and bushings in but now I notice the speedometer has quit working. It appears that the end has come off and the cable is broken somewhere in the line.

How difficult is it to put a new one in and are there any things to watch out for? It is a 4 speed V8.
    none

Speedo cable is pretty easy. Just have small hands and be a contorsionist. The hardest part is reaching up under the dash to screw or un screw it from the gauge cluster. The trans end should have a small clip with one bolt holding it on. Undo that and pull straight out and it should come right out.
    Go for it, you should have no troubles.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Hey, thanks so much for the info.

I bought a new cable and C-clip; the cable has an attached kind of holder with a hole in it and 4"cushion piece around the cable. The end for the dash has a round nut and the tranny end has a push-in fitting with an 'O' do they come pre-lubed or should I add some?
    none

Wouldn't hurt to put a touch if gear lube on the "o" ring. If it was an auto use trans fluid.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Speedo Cables, if new, are probably pre-lubed, but it never hurts to pull the cable out of the housing and check. Cables are lubed with a special grafite-based lubricant that you can find at most good auto stores, or online. In a pinch you can use Lock-ease, which is graphite based spray to help carry the lube down the housing. And as Steve said, a light film of oil on the o-ring.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"