Thread: Speedometer Spot-On!

Speedometer Spot-On!

Not far from my house there is a stretch of road with a 35 mph limit and a radar sign that shows big numbers and says "Your Speed Is ... ".

A couple of years ago I noticed that when my speedometer said 36 mph, the sign said that I was doing 39 mph.

I finally got around to correcting it. For my speedometer to read slow meant that I needed a gear with fewer teeth. That would spin the gear faster would send a faster signal to the speedometer. I looked at the Mac's Auto Parts site and they listed a 17-tooth speedometer gear with part number C3DZ-17271-C. An article about how to read Ford part numbers explained that C3 meant 1963, D meant Falcon, and 17271 meant speedometer. That sounded like just what I needed. Someone on e-bay was selling that part for $6.49 with postage included. Cool! I ordered one and installed it this morning.

New Gear:
    C3DZ-17271-C.jpg

The old gear was tan and had 19 teeth. The new gear is white and has 17 teeth.

on counter top 4-DCP_0078.jpg

Going from 19 to 17 teeth makes the speedometer and odometer go faster. This will multiply the speedometer, odometer, and indicated gas mileage by 19/17 = 1.118, or 12%. Before, my speedometer said 36 mp when it should have said 39 mph. With the correction 1.118 * 36 mph should read 40 mph.

My wife and I drove to where I work and the odometer registered 12.7 miles where it had previously measured about 11 miles. Then we drove to the radar site and made three passes at 38 mph, 24 mph, and 50 mph. The speedometer compared near spot-on to the radar. When I made the pass with 50 mph on the speedometer, the radar read 49 mph. Yay!

This means that when I thought that the car was maxing out at 88 mph, it was actually hitting 98 mph! (Don't tell my wife!)
    And my gas mileage is better than what I had thought!

Yay! I'm doing the happy bannana dance!
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 12th, 2015 at 04:05 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Speedometer Spot-On!

Not sure what my speedometer says, but every time I pass one of those "your speed is" signs it just says. "DAMN"
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Speedometer Spot-On!

You can see the proof next to my name badbird.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry the Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Not sure what my speedometer says, but every time I pass one of those "your speed is" signs it just says. "DAMN"
    Hey, Larry.

If the sign had more letters it would day: "Holy Cow! That BadBird is Quick!"

We have a couple of local speedways that I have been meaning to visit and see what they have going on.

Gibsonton.jpg

I have been told that the ShowTime Speedway in Clearwater has a "Calibration Night" on Wednesday nights where you pay a fee and can run a street car on a timed quarter mile. I have got to do that. Just the experience of revving up the motor, waiting for the signal, and then nailing it would be a blast. It would let me see how close my car compares to what it was supposed to do when it was new.

See: http://showtimespeedway.us/about/

Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 13th, 2015 at 04:12 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Speedometer Spot-On!

Dennis, do it, do it, do it. Drag racing brings an adrenaline high that is hard to get in other places. Carol and I spent a lot of evenings back in the mid 60's street racing after school and then weekends drag racing. I had the best looking and fastest 57 Chevy in Wichita. It was black, white rolled and pleated interior. It was a blast to drive and that led to other drag racers later. In 1967 we bought a new Olds 442 that had the 1968 455 engine and 425 horsepower. It was only made for drag racing, no car mats, no radio, no power steering or power brakes. Just a phenomenal racer. There were only a few available and now are worth huge dollars.
    I will one day get this Falcon on the track just to see what it will do. Hope you do also, and soon. Let me know how it goes and best of luck with your beautiful Falcon. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Test and Tune

Hello, Larry.

This is the reference that I was looking for. They call it "Test and Tune" on the Showtime Dragstrip. See: http://showtimedragstrip.us/

15 April 2015
    Test and Tune Gates open 5pm
    $10 Admission $10 Tech card for Test and Tune
    6pm till 10pm

This would be a good reason to take a Wednesday off from work.

I just sent them a message saying:

"Hello,

I have a stock 1963 Ford Falcon.

What requirements do I need to meet in order to try it out on the quarter mile track?

Thanks, Dennis."

PS: My new speedometer gear indicated that it was 12.7 miles from my house to work. I drove my Honda CRV to work today and its odometer also indicated ....... 12.7 miles!
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Off to the Races. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    I have a stock 1963 Ford Falcon.
    What requirements do I need to meet in order to try it out on the quarter mile track?
    Robert Yoho from Showtime Dragstrip sent me this somewhat cryptic reply:
    "just bring it out and if you are too fast you must put on a helmet. all goes by your time."

I sent him the following query:

"Hello, Robert.

Thank you for your quick reply.

This is the first time that I have done anything like this.

How fast is "Too Fast"?

These were the statistics when new for a car similar to mine, except that I have a two-speed automatic rather than a four speed manual:

Ford Falcon 1963 ½ Convertible (3,076 lbs) 260 V-8, 14 – 20 mpg
    Top speed: 107 mph @ 5000 rpm.
    4-speed: 0 – 60 mph in 12.1 seconds and 18.0 for the ¼ mile @ 73 mph with a 3.25:1 differential "

Robert Yoho filmed the following clip. My Falcon tends to keep its nose further down during takeoff than does the featured vehicle.
    See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mz3gCRqON8

Wimpy Lane.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 14th, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Drag Racing the Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Robert Yoho from Showtime Dragstrip sent me this somewhat cryptic reply: "just bring it out and if you are too fast you must put on a helmet. all goes by your time."
    Robert e-mailed me back and said to bring a helmet. I need to find a helmet.

The Showtime Dragstrip is a 1/8 mile track, meaning that it is only 660 feet long.

I did some calculations and figure that I might be able to hit 60 mph in that distance. What is interesting about the Fordomatic / 260 engine combination is that the transmission has a stall speed of about 1900 rpm and the engine develops its maximum 258 lb-ft of torque at 2200 rpm. That means that you would be at peak torque and maximum acceleration almost immediately off the line. Plus, the torque converter delivers its instantaneous maximum torque multiplication of 2.05 when the turbine is stalled providing a maximum overall reduction of 3.73 when the throttle is hit hard at takeoff. That is a lot lower effective gear than the 2.73 reduction provided by the first gear of a four-speed manual transmission on a Falcon Sprint. What would limit me is that one of my skinny P175/80/R13 tires would spin way before maximum torque.

Plus, if you hold the throttle all the way down the Fordomatic will run up to 50 - 55 mph without shifting. The car reaches 53 mph in first gear at 4400 rpm which is also where the car generates its maximum 164 horsepower.

So, in a strictly stock configuration the car will generate near-max torque at takeoff and hit maximum horsepower within 660 feet and do all of this without having to lose time while shifting gears.

Ford Drag Club.JPG

I am impressed. This is all theory, of course. Actual results may vary.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 20th, 2015 at 02:32 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis I'm on the same page with you. I'm taking mine out to west end thunder this year. I was worried because I shaved my door handles but the safety crew said no problem but I should know that if I get in trouble they will bust out windows.
    My response: if I'm in trouble bust them all out, get me the hell out!! My date isn't for another month or so but I hope to video it. I'll post it if it turns out so I hope you do too. Good luck and have fun!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Speedometer Spot-On!

Dennis, I am on the same page as you about racing, but LOL I got lost in your last post on the 1st line. You have all this figured with degrees and angles.
    All I know how to do is stomp the pedal through the firewall and hang on for dear life. You have to be an engineer or something? Not making fun of you, just trying to catch some of that information that flew about 10 feet over my head. As you can tell, I am not good at figuring this stuff out.
    Roger, Pat and some of the others are probably saying what is so difficult Larry???
    Now, just floor the sucker, have fun, don't worry about speed, times or anything and I hope you have a ball then tell us all about it. Pictures I hope. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

...just trying to catch some of that information that flew about 10 feet over my head.
    Roger, Pat and some of the others are probably saying what is so difficult Larry???
    Nope - was at least 5 feet above my head. Far higher than what I'd even care to try and figure out.

But it sounded very believable and that's 99.14534% of it!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"